About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, October 29, 2007

John 3:22-30

I'm not sure what the argument between John the Baptist's disciples and the Jew mentioned in this passage was about. Perhaps they were disputing whether John's baptism or Jesus' baptism provided appropriate ceremonial cleansing. In any case, when John's disciples approach John with the problem that everyone is going to Jesus, John's response is a model for all of us.

 

He says first of all that God is sovereign over the ministries of His servants. Servants need not worry when one servant has a greater ministry than another servant. That is overseen from heaven, and God's perspective is best.

 

But John goes on. He reminds his disciples that they know John testified that Jesus was greater. John was not the Christ, but the one sent ahead of Him. It is fitting for people to follow Jesus.

 

John the Baptist then paints a beautiful picture for his disciples – an analogy from weddings. The one who gets the bride is the groom. All the people are going to Jesus, so He is the groom. The best man does not get bitter when he sees the groom with the bride; instead, he rejoices at the bridegroom's happiness! In the same way, John says, he has been given abundant joy because of Jesus' ministry! It is right. It is good for Jesus to overshadow John the Baptist. It is not sad! John understands and says, "He must become greater. I must become less." And he says it with joy rather than sadness, rejoicing rather than bitterness!

 

For those of us who follow and proclaim Christ now, the same is true. Jesus did not save us so that we could have great ministries. He saved us so that we can point others to Him! To His salvation! The more people follow Jesus, the more we should rejoice! Father, grant me such an understanding of Jesus' glory, grace and truth that I am eager to exalt Him at all times. May my speech and my actions point always to Him. Always to Jesus.

 

No comments: