About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

John 1:19-28

So who was John the Baptist? Obviously, we know his name. But who was he? Why was he significant?

 

When the Jews asked him who he was, John the Baptist said that he was not the Christ, the expected Messiah. But they weren't satisfied with knowing who he wasn't. They wanted to understand his ministry, to see where he fit into God's purposes. So they kept asking him who he was. Elijah? No. The prophet? No. Who?

 

And this is how John defined himself: "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way of the LORD,' as the prophet Isaiah said."

 

John knew he was fulfilling Scripture. John knew his place in God's plan. He was there to prepare the way for God Himself.

 

All these questions and John's answer took place in Bethany.

 

Why do we care? We should care because we need life. We need light. We need the Word. We need God Himself, our Creator. Even John the Baptist recognized that he was unworthy of any attention compared to the Word. But he also knew that he was there to prepare the way for this Word, for our God. If John the Baptist is really the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy, then his testimony is important for identifying the LORD. If we want to know God, we need to follow the one John points to. In history. John was really there at Bethany. God's Word was really being fulfilled. This isn't just some fairy tale. We cannot treat these things lightly.

 

Father, thank you for giving us a sign to point to the Word. Thank you that John the Baptist knew what his assignment was. May I also fulfill my assignment. But most of all, help me to listen to the truth and receive the life that You have made available to me through the Word, Jesus Christ. May I believe Him and accept what He has to say. He comes from You.

No comments: