About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

John 1:14-18

In the context of all that John has said so far, this next statement is astonishing! The Word became flesh and lived/camped among us! The Word became flesh? The one through whom everything was created clothed Himself with His far inferior creation? Perhaps "clothed" is too gentle a term. After all, we clothe ourselves with cloths and other substances that are inferior to us. Perhaps the term "bound" would be better. The Word bound Himself in His creation. He subjected Himself to the limitations of His creation. The idea is not that He merely put on His creation as a garment, but that He restricted Himself within His creation. If you and I were willing to identify with our clothes – to live in drawers with them, be folded like they are, sit there passively waiting for someone to come by and put us on, and then do nothing but cover other humans, taking on stains and rips and stretching, and then be thrown into a washing machine for a cycle, and then into a dryer, and then back into the drawer after being folded – if we could do that, we might begin to understand what it meant for the Word to take on flesh.

 

And yet John writes that "we have seen His glory". The Word displayed the life that was in Him, the glorious light intended to free men from darkness, even when limited by our weak flesh. The Word was full of grace and truth.

 

The man who came as a witness to the light, John the Baptist, cries out concerning the Word in flesh, "He who is coming after me has surpassed me... because He was before me." In other words, the one I point to is God. He has always been. My job is to point you to Him so that you begin to watch Him and recognize that God is among us.

 

He is the one from whom all grace has come. You can only say this about God. John even goes on to define this grace. Apparently, it does not include the Law, for after saying that grace upon grace has come through the Word, John specifically states that the Law was given through Moses (not the Word); therefore, the Law is not included in God's works of grace. Grace and truth happen through Jesus Christ. This is the first time that John mentions Jesus' name; he identifies the Word, who is God, who holds life for all men – he identifies this person who has come in the flesh as Jesus Christ.

 

No one has seen God. But this Jesus Christ, God the only begotten, has explained the Father to us so that we may know Him.

 

In other words, we have the opportunity to know God. And it has come through Jesus Christ. This is the best of news! We should listen to it eagerly.

 

Lord Jesus, I believe that You are the Word. I believe that You are God. I believe that You came as a real man. And I cannot explain how all these things work together, but I believe You. I want the life You offer, even though I certainly don't deserve it. May I pay attention to Your words, Your life, Your everything!

No comments: