About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

John 2:1-11

John's gospel moves so differently from the others. He never specifically mentions Jesus' baptism; instead, He focuses only on John the Baptist's testimony and the Spirit's descent upon Jesus. John also doesn't mention a temptation period in the wilderness. Following Jesus' Spirit-baptism, the next day John's disciples follow Jesus. The next day Jesus finds Philip, and we hear about Nathaniel coming to Jesus. And then John moves to this story, introducing it by saying, "On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee." The third day after Jesus' baptism? When does His temptation take place? Perhaps in the time span mentioned in John 2:12-13. First he went to Capernaum and stayed with his relatives and disciples. And then there's an uncertain time from there to the Passover. Maybe that's when. Not that this is so important. I'm simply curious.

 

But none of the other gospels mentions the wedding at Cana. And the events raise some curious questions. Why did Jesus' mother expect Him to be able to do something about the wine situation? She knew about the angel's announcement, and she knew about Jesus' extraordinary knowledge of God from childhood. But had Jesus been in the habit of performing miracles before this? If so, why would John call this the first of His miraculous signs? If not, why did Mary expect Jesus to take care of the wine? Also, after telling Mary that His time had not yet come, why did Jesus go ahead and perform a miracle? The fact that He performed the miracle shows that He was conforming to God's will, right? So why would He say that it wasn't His time yet?

 

In the midst of all these questions (questions I'm not sure I want to try to answer), John gives us some straightforward facts. First, the conversation between Jesus and Mary resulted in Jesus directing the servants of the house and performing a miraculous sign. Second, there were quite a few witnesses to this miracle. The servants and Jesus' disciples (whether they were all there or not I do not know, but those who were there) all knew what had happened. Third, events seemed simple enough: Jesus had the servants fill up six stone water jars with water. Fourth, Jesus performed a miracle – the water was turned to wine... good wine. Fifth, the miracle displayed Jesus' glory and resulted in faith; the disciples put their faith in Jesus.

 

John began this gospel writing that "we have seen His glory." John's letter tells me that John saw the glory of the Word, God in the flesh. And this is one example of Jesus' glory. Jesus changed water to wine. I can't quite wrap my mind around that. It is easy to look at this as a fact. "The gospels testify that Jesus turned water into wine." But thinking about the implications is hard. Do I believe John's testimony? Did Jesus really turn water into wine? No one can do that. No one. But John says that Jesus did it. Really? Did He really turn water into wine?

 

Father God, help me to believe. The way the disciples believed. Except that I don't get to see the miracle myself. I have to believe John's testimony. Jesus is the Word, who was in the beginning with God, who is God. All things were created through Him. If He was involved in all of creation, of course He can change water into wine! Of course He can! Help me to remember that Jesus was a man, but that He was and is more than a man. Help me to live my life trusting in the Jesus who holds all of Creation in His hands, in His control. My life is in His hands. My provisions are in His hands. Father, help me to trust Him. I do trust Him. May I remember how great Jesus is continually. May I remember Jesus' glory.

 

No comments: