About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

John 1:43-51

Not only has John the Baptist pointed people toward Jesus, but Jesus Himself is recruiting followers. As Jesus heads from the area where He was baptized toward Galilee, He calls Philip to follow Him.

 

We find out that Philip was from Bethsaida, the same town as Andrew and Peter. Perhaps they encouraged Jesus to recruit Philip? Who knows? Regardless, Philip also becomes an immediate witness for Jesus, going to Nathaniel to testify that the one prophesied by Moses and the prophets has come!

 

Nathaniel is skeptical, especially when he finds out that Jesus is from Nazareth. Nazareth was not a great town known for great things. But Philip doesn't counter Nathaniel's arguments with his own arguments; instead Philip says, "Come and see."

 

Philip's approach worked. Nathaniel came with him to meet Jesus, and Jesus Himself convinced Nathaniel. He spoke up as though He already knew Nathaniel, giving Him a glowing recommendation as though He had known Nathaniel for a long time (I can't imagine giving even a job recommendation for someone I had just met). Nathaniel was surprised by Jesus' seeming familiarity with his life, and Jesus indicates that He knows Nathaniel because He has seen His life; in fact, He "saw" Nathaniel before Philip called him and knew that he had been sitting under a fig tree. Apparently neither Philip nor Nathaniel had mentioned yet that a fig tree was involved in their meeting, so Nathaniel was rightly astonished.

 

Given Jesus' testimony that Nathaniel is "a true Israelite in whom there is nothing false," Nathaniel's testimony about Jesus is telling for me: "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

 

The Son of God? Wow! We debate whether Old Testament believers would have seen the Messiah as the Son of God or would have called Him by such titles. But at least some of them expected no one less than the Son of God to come as their Messiah! Either that, or Nathaniel was a complete oddity among the Jews of his day. By Jesus' divine knowledge of him, Nathaniel knew that Jesus was the Son of God from day one. This is the testimony of a "true Israelite in whom there is nothing false."

 

The King of Israel! The Messiah, the Anointed One of God, has come to redeem His people and rule them in righteousness! Nathaniel recognized this from day one! In Jesus, the Son of God, is righteousness. He is worthy of all service, all authority in submission to Him. He is worthy of our unquestioning obedience regardless of the cost. He is the King! We need to treat Him as our King, rejoicing that God has given us a righteous and good King worthy of all our love and service. I do not need to begrudge Him my service, for everything He commands is worthwhile and good.

 

I'm not sure what Jesus was referring to when He told Nathaniel that he would see greater things – that he would see the angels ascending and descending on the Son of Man. But it sounds unlike anything recorded in the gospels. Nathaniel was not one of the three disciples close to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, where an angel appeared to strengthen Jesus (Luke 22:43). He wasn't on the Mount of Transfiguration; even if he had been, angels are not mentioned in the transfiguration experience. Nathaniel wasn't at the empty tomb when the angels showed up there. There is no evidence in Scripture that Nathaniel ever saw an angel.

 

However, what Jesus describes sounds very much like a scene from heaven. I think Jesus was confirming to Nathaniel the following: "You have believed because of something relatively small. You will see all that there is to see, for You will be a part of my everlasting kingdom. You will be there in heaven, so continue to follow Me."

 

What an encouragement this must have been to Nathaniel! If I understand correctly, Nathaniel had just received the promise of the Son of God that he would be in heaven! From that point on, could Nathaniel have ever wanted to follow anyone else?

 

Father, how can I be so easily distracted and disturbed by my earthly desires and the challenges of unbelievers when I have heaven waiting for me as I follow Jesus Christ? Help me to throw off everything that hinders, to run the race before me with my eyes fixed on Jesus! Lord Jesus, You are worthy!

 

No comments: