About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Our Lonely Godly Walk

Isaiah 51-53; Psalm 69:19-36; Proverbs 24:7

 

Do you feel alone in your walk with Christ? Do you wish there were others nearby, walking faithfully at your side? Other visible people (I mean, obviously God’s there, and that should be comfort enough… But I’m talking about what we think in our weakness)?

 

The solution for loneliness is not having more people in the here and now. It’s looking to the future hope we have of going from one to many, from solitude to multitude.

 

Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the LORD: Look to the rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn; look to Abraham, your father, and to Sarah, who gave you birth. When I called him he was but one, and I blessed him and made him many. – Isaiah 51:1-2

 

God reminds those who pursue righteousness and seek His face that Abraham was “but one” when God called him. Abraham was alone. Just he and his wife pursued God’s righteousness.

 

But being alone is worthwhile if it means leaving injustice, unfaithfulness and wickedness behind to pursue the LORD. Abraham did not need to have a cohort of human companions in order to courageously follow God. He needed God. And as Abraham followed God, the LORD “blessed him and made him many.”

 

Alone on earth for a time. With family in heaven for eternity.

 

Pursue righteousness. Seek the Lord Jesus Christ. Even alone.

 

Father, help me to be courageous about following you, even when I feel alone. And may my wife, my children, our family and relatives, our co-workers and neighbors, our friends and church family and the whole world come to follow You, too, as You pour out Your blessing.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being alone is a conundrum: It's hard to be alone with so many temptations in the world, yet it's hard to be involved with so much strife included in "not" being alone.