About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Whose Command Makes You Jump?

To read: Jeremiah 35-36; Psalm 89:14-37; Proverbs 25:25-27

 

I have a confession to make. Yesterday I failed to complete a school assignment—at least, the important part of it.

 

The assignment was to spend some time telling another person about Jesus and then to report on the encounter. I turned in a report. The problem was that I had nothing to report. In the past several weeks, I had not witnessed to anyone that I could think of.

 

I found myself praying yesterday that Jesus would lead me into a witnessing encounter. Why? So that I could complete my assignment. Yes, I wanted also to see someone come to know Him. But my most urgent motivation was my assignment, not Jesus’ glory and someone’s salvation.

 

It made me think.

 

How often do I work harder to obey men (teachers, bosses, parents, supervisors) than I work to obey God? How often am I more worried about the consequences of not obeying men than about the consequences of not obeying God? Do I really care more about what God wants than what men want? Sometimes the way I act wouldn’t make you think so.

 

And then I read Jeremiah this morning. In chapter 35, God commands Jeremiah to invite the Recabite family to a place that will hold the whole clan, and then to serve them wine. Jeremiah does so, and what happens when he places wine before them is that they refuse it. Why? Because their ancestor commanded his descendants not to drink wine. A man commanded, and they stayed faithful.

 

And then God said to Jeremiah:

This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Go and tell the men of Judah and the people of Jerusalem, `Will you not learn a lesson and obey my words?' declares the LORD. `Jonadab son of Recab ordered his sons not to drink wine and this command has been kept. To this day they do not drink wine, because they obey their forefather's command. But I have spoken to you again and again, yet you have not obeyed me. Again and again I sent all my servants the prophets to you. They said, "Each of you must turn from your wicked ways and reform your actions; do not follow other gods to serve them. Then you will live in the land I have given to you and your fathers." But you have not paid attention or listened to me. The descendants of Jonadab son of Recab have carried out the command their forefather gave them, but these people have not obeyed me.'

 

“Therefore, this is what the LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, says: `Listen! I am going to bring on Judah and on everyone living in Jerusalem every disaster I pronounced against them. I spoke to them, but they did not listen; I called to them, but they did not answer.' ” – Jeremiah 35:13-17

 

So whose command makes you jump? Man’s? Or God’s?

 

Father, forgive me for the times when I respond better to men than I do to you. And lead to me to honor Your words with my obedience. Enable me. Empower me. Make my heart thirst to hear and obey You.

 

No comments: