About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Serving Those Who Deserve Their Daily Trouble-Exodus 21:22-23:13; Psalm 29; Proverbs 7:6-23

If you come across your enemy's ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to take it back to him. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help him with it. – Exodus 23:4-5

 

“He got what he deserved.”

 

Doesn’t it feel good to say that? Isn’t it awesome when things just happen, and people who have been a royal pain in the keister suddenly get what they’ve had coming? Shouldn’t we rejoice when justice simply happens?

 

Justice is good. And ultimately, we know that God will make sure justice comes.

 

But justice usually doesn’t happen in the every day details of life. Justice happens in a courtroom and as the result of a judge’s measured deliberation. Justice occurs when a carefully weighed sentence is carried out. Justice doesn’t simply happen.

 

So when we see someone who has mocked and ridiculed people, who has insulted them and denigrated them to the point of tears, and this person’s in need, our God calls us not to turn away. When we see a youth who has vandalized the neighborhood, deliberately annoyed everyone after being asked to stop blaring his music, and broken into our vehicles to steal our electronics, and this youth’s car has a flat tire, we should stop to help him. When our next door neighbor is a 57-year old convict who served his jail time for assaulting his wife, and his disability prevents him from cleaning his completely clogged and sagging gutters, we should not neglect his need.

 

Justice will happen. But it will happen in a courtroom and through a sentence. Ultimately, the good and righteous Judge or the whole world will make certain that justice stands. But outside the courtrooms, in the day to day rhythms of life, we are not judges. We are neighbors. And even though people hurt us, insult us, and scare us, we are to live like neighbors, helping and serving even the people who treat us badly.

 

Love your enemies and those whose lives are despicable. Help them. Serve them. Be their neighbor. Leave justice where it belongs, in the courtroom of the Judge.

 

Father,

I fall so short of Your commands. When I fail to serve people I don’t like, I often find an excuse that sounds better than “I don’t like him.” I’ll say, “I don’t have time right now,” or, “I don’t know how to help with that.” But for others, for those I respect, I would have found the time; I would have called up a friend with the right skills to counsel me. Forgive me for neglecting my neighbors. Forgive me for lying about the motivations for my neglect. Help me to trust Your righteousness and justice so that I can serve joyfully and gladly. Help me to remember that helping a terrible person with his normal daily needs will not protect Him from Your judgment in the end. Help me to have compassion on the worst of people because I know they face the worst of fates. And strengthen my resolve and power to serve them. Maybe they, too, can find the mercy I have found in the death and resurrection of my Lord and King Jesus Christ, who took the punishment that was justly mine! Help me to serve because You have served me, and may my service lead the worst of people into Your grace.

 

No comments: