About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, February 16, 2009

"For Me" - Exodus 34:1-35:9; Psalm 33:12-22; Proverbs 9:1-6

“O Lord, if I have found favor in your eyes,” he said, “then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance.” – Exodus 34:9

 

How would you feel if a group of teens vandalized your home? If they slashed your tires? If they made flyers with your face photoshopped into some disgraceful scene and spread them all over your neighborhood?

 

What if your son came to you and said, “These guys are my friends. They’re with me. You love me, right? Can they go on vacation with us?”

 

The Israelites had worshiped an idol, a golden calf. They took this thing they had made with their own hands and jewelry, and they praised it as though it had overcome Pharaoh and the Egyptians, as though it had divided the sea, as though it had sent the ten plagues. They equated God with a lump of metal. They trashed God’s name.

 

Moses was faithful to God. He hadn’t trashed God’s name. He was serving God wholeheartedly. God was pleased with him.

 

But did God appreciate Moses enough to put up with the rest of the Israelites? That’s what Moses asked for: “O Lord, if I have found favor in your eyes, then let the Lord go with us.” Essentially, Moses said, “Love them for me. For me.” Moses asked an incredibly bold favor. The thing is, it was granted.

 

Jesus Christ has done the same thing for us. He is our advocate with His Father, pleading with God to accept His human brothers and sisters. “Father,” He says, “Love them for me.”

 

Father, thank You that Your best servants are so generous, like You. Thank You that we have Your Son, Jesus Christ, seeking our best interests. Thank You that You are so willing to forgive us that You will include us—who have sinned against You—in the favor and love You show toward others. Thank You that You loved Moses and Jesus so much that You were willing to include the rest of us in Your love for them.

 

No comments: