About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Obeying as Much as You're Commanded: Exodus 37-38; Psalm 34:11-22; Proverbs 9:9-10

Bezalel made the ark of acacia wood--two and a half cubits long, a cubit and a half wide, and a cubit and a half high… - Exodus 37:1

 

I love clear, detailed instructions. I don’t have to wonder what someone else wants that way; if I follow the instructions, I’ll fulfill their request.

 

Bezalel and his co-workers were blessed to have very detailed instructions from God as they built the tabernacle. And they obeyed those detailed commands—every one of them.

 

We should obey fully, too. When God commands us to do something specific, to accomplish some task, we should do it down to the last detail we have received from Him. And when God gives general commands, without a whole lot of details, we should seek to obey those general commands fully, too. Sometimes, because God hasn’t told us precisely what to do in each situation, obeying general commands feels more difficult. For instance, when we have to choose between loving our wife by taking her out on a date and loving a neighbor by driving him to a doctor’s appointment, which way do we turn to obey God’s command to love others? Such times may be confusing, but we still should seek to obey God. Probably if He hasn’t told us the specifics, we should be encouraged to move forward with at least one of the options we have before us, knowing that we will obey God’s command by doing either one. God knows our limitations.

 

Father, help me to obey You as fully as I know how. When You give specific commands in Your Word, may I obey them to the last detail. When You give general commands and I seem to have several options for fulfilling them, may I choose at least one of the options and obey You as fully as I know how with it. May I always respond to Your commands with obedience.

 

No comments: