About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, November 30, 2007

John 6:16-21

I am not feeling very focused right now. But I want to understand what God is saying here. Father, help me. Forgive me for allowing little things to disturb me.

 

Ok, so John 6. Jesus has just fed five thousand people. So far there has not really been much comment on this amazing fact, besides that Jesus didn't want to let the people make Him king by force and drive out the Romans. He's withdrawn from the crowd.

 

Evening comes, the disciples go to the lake and take a boat to Capernaum. Jesus wasn't with them. The waters grew rough, and the disciples were rowing the boat quite a ways.

 

John's comments are brief. They saw Jesus walking on the water toward them and were terrified. Jesus assured them that He was the one approaching them. And they let Him into the boat, and the boat "immediately" reached the opposite shore.

 

Is there more to it? Possibly. In another section of John, Jesus claims to be God by saying, "Before Abraham was born, I am." The "I am" in that statement is His claim to be God, for it is the translation of the Exodus account where God tells Moses to tell the Israelites, "I AM has sent me to you" (Ex. 3:14). Jesus is claiming God's title, God's name. Well, in this section of John, translators normally make John 6:20 out to be something like "It is I". And yes, Jesus is identifying Himself. But He uses the same words that He uses in His claim related to Abraham. That passage could be translated, "Before Abraham was born, it is I." Or this passage in John 6 could be translated, "I AM; don't be afraid" (which reminds me of many OT passages where God gives the same command to His people).

 

Jesus walks out to His disciples on the lake. On the stormy lake. They've been rowing hard for miles. They see Jesus. And they are terrified. Did Jesus merely identify Himself to them? "Hi guys, it's me, Jesus! Can I hop in?" Or is John trying to tell us that Jesus is God? That seems to be John's message all along, starting from chapter one. Jesus claims to be God again here from the way John writes things. "I AM. Don't be afraid." And when the great I AM enters the disciples' boat in the midst of their work and in the midst of a storm, immediately they arrive at the other side of the lake. Coincidence? Not according to John. John is telling us that Jesus is God. Jesus is the great I AM who revealed Himself to Moses and the Israelites. Who led the Israelites through the sea. Here again, the great I AM is with His people, and the fears they face are nothing compared to His divine power. The same power that fed five thousand people earlier that day from five barley loaves and some fish. Who created the world? God. It is entirely believable that the God who made all things from nothing could create enough food for five thousand people from something.

 

Jesus is God. Father, help me to see Jesus' glory always. Help me to know You through Him. Help me to trust. Remind me to obey. You are worthy.

 

No comments: