About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, November 19, 2007

John 5:19-30

The previous section said that the Jews were not only persecuting Jesus, but that the Jews sought to kill Him because He was claiming to be equal with God. Apparently Jesus knew this, even then, and answered them. He certainly did not back down in His statements.

 

  1. "The Son is able to do nothing on His own, but only what He sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does these same things." Who can do what God does? Jesus claims that He can. He continues the Father-Son discussion, in effect continuing to make Himself equal with God.
  2. "The Father loves the Son and shows Him all things which the Father does." Who is acquainted with the works of God? Jesus claims that He is. He sees all that the Father does.
  3. "Just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whomever He wishes." Who can give life and raise the dead? Only God. But Jesus claims that He can do this, too.
  4. "The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son in order that all might honor the Son just as they honor the Father." How should someone honor God? Is anyone else worthy of God's honor? Jesus claims that He is, and that this is the Father's will, because He wants all to honor His Son. Who would dare to make such an arrogant claim – that He judges all things (and that God doesn't), and that men are supposed to honor Him as God? Especially within the Jewish setting, where they were radically monotheistic and already wanted to kill Him because He had implied that He was equal with God? Jesus. Jesus made this claim. Was it arrogant? Or was it true? Jesus even went on to say that those who did not honor the Son were dishonoring the Father who sent the Son.
  5. "Truly, truly, I say to you that the one who hears my word and believes the One who sent me has eternal life and will not face judgment." John's gospel begins by claiming, "In Him was life." Did John come up with this idea on His own? Apparently not. Jesus Himself claimed that eternal life was for those who heard and believed His word, taking His word to be the word of the Father. Life, according to Jesus, is found in Him.
  6. "The dead who hear the voice of the Son of God will live!" Same claim again!
  7. "Just as the Father has life in Himself, so also the Father has given to the Son [the right/ability/nature] to have life in Himself." If they are Father and Son, both God, and if being God means having life in Oneself, without depending on another for that life, then Jesus is absolutely correct to claim that His particular relationship with the Father (same essence) means that He has life in Himself and can give it to others!
  8. "And the Father gave the Son authority to make judgment, because He is the Son of Man." I'm sure that Jesus is here referring not so much to being human (though that is involved) as to being the Son of Man described in Daniel 7:13-14. That Son of Man came from heaven and was given authority, a kingdom! Jesus has received authority to judge because He is that particular Son of Man!
  9. What will this judgment look like? "A time is coming when [the dead] who have done good things will rise from the grave to a resurrection of life, but those who have done evil things will rise... to a resurrection of judgment." The final judgment has been entrusted into Jesus' hands, if He is telling the Jews the truth.
  10. "I am not able to do anything on my own. Just as I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I am not seeking my own will but the will of the One who sent me." Jesus again claims that His actions are intricately tied to the Father's, and that what He does is exactly the good that God wants. Who can live that way except God? Jesus.

 

Jesus is God. The Jews wanted to kill Him for making Himself equal with God. What does He do in response? Does He backpedal? Does He try to explain? "Oh! No, no, no! You misunderstood me! I wasn't saying that I was equal with God! We're all sons of God! That's what I meant! (Please don't kill me!)" Never! Jesus instead responded something like this: "You thought that I was claiming to be equal with God? I'm glad you heard that. Actually, you haven't even begun to understand how intricately my work is tied with the Father's! Here's how it works..."

 

Jesus did claim to be equal with God. He did claim that God was His own Father. Not only so, but He claimed that His words were God's words. He claimed that His actions were God's actions. The Father sent Him; only Jesus could adequately represent the Father among men.

 

Lord Jesus, thank You for coming at the Father's command. Thank You for speaking God's words to us. Thank You for doing God's will among us. Thank You for introducing us to Yourself so that we could know the Father through You. I love You.

 

No comments: