About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, November 5, 2007

John 4:1-9

Jesus and the Samaritan Woman – 1

 

By God's grace, I get to spend time in His Word. You would think that I would get plenty of time in His Word, being a seminary student. But seminary really only provides for plenty of time flipping through God's Word finding texts to prove your arguments. Time actually in God's Word, where I listen to Him, is precious. And by the way that I have to break up the story of the Samaritan woman, it is clear that this time is also limited.

 

Jesus was heading back to Galilee. The Pharisees had heard that He was baptizing more disciples than John the Baptist, and for some reason this motivated Jesus to return to Galilee. On His way there, He went through Samaria and stopped by a well in Sychar. He was alone there when a Samaritan woman came out to draw water. Jesus told her that He would like a drink. And thus a fascinating conversation was begun.

 

The first topic in this conversation was simply that the woman was surprised by Jesus' willingness to receive a drink from her. She said, "How are you (a Jew) asking for a drink from me (a Samaritan woman)?" It was the custom for Jews not to associate with Samaritans.

 

But apparently this was a custom Jesus was willing to circumvent. We can argue that He did so knowing that His conversation would change this woman's life forever, and also the lives of many in her town. But the conversation started simply. Jesus asked her for a drink. He had been traveling. He was tired. He must have been thirsty, and He was sitting right next to a well. She was there to draw water. So He asked for a drink. At face value, Jesus broke a Jewish custom of hatred just for a drink of water. He was not above receiving help from a Samaritan.

 

How often do I refuse to receive help from others simply because I would rather not associate with them? Probably not that often. But still, I know my heart's inclination to avoid certain types of people. And my reasons are not as theologically grounded as the Jews reasons were for avoiding the Samaritans. In this case, simply being willing to associate with a Samaritan woman led to a meaningful ministry in her community.

 

Father, continue to break down my resistance to certain kinds of people. I would list them here, but you know who they are and I don't really want to offend anyone. The point is, even if I avoid them because I think of them as sinners, Jesus came to save sinners. And I am a sinner. Jesus has saved me, and I still struggle with my heart's desires to go against His leading. You have had mercy on me, even though You are perfect. Help me to have mercy on others, since I can identify with their imperfections. Thank You for Your love. Thank You for showing me what love looks like through Jesus Christ. Help me to love like You do.

 

No comments: