About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, November 12, 2007

John 4:19-26

After Jesus reveals to the Samaritan woman the truths about her sinful lifestyle, she has a newfound respect for Him and recognizes Him as a prophet. Perhaps she brought up the difference between Jewish and Samaritan worship to impress Jesus with her knowledge of ways to approach God; perhaps she did it to divert attention from her sinful lifestyle; who knows why, ultimately. Either way, her focus was on earthly ways of worshipping. What form of worship is best? Worship on the Samaritans' mountain? Or worship in Jerusalem?

 

It must have astonished this lady for Jesus to respond that neither form of worship would have God's ongoing approval forever. He did take a moment to point out that the Samaritans were worshiping without knowledge and that the Jews knew what they were doing; salvation would ultimately come through the Jews.

 

However, Jesus told her that a time had now come when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth.

 

What does this mean? I'm not sure I have the complete answer, but this seems to be at least part of what it means: Jesus explains that God is spirit. Why? Because the woman had mentioned two earthly ways of worshiping – one in Jerusalem and one on the Samaritans' mountain. Just like Jesus pointed out to Nicodemus, there are spiritual realities beyond what we can see and measure. Since God is spirit, ultimately the physical location of worship is not what matters most. Our worship of a spiritual God must be spiritual; it must be true. It is not enough for our worship to be about "going through the motions." Worship is not going to some mountain, going to Jerusalem, or sacrificing sheep and goats. All these things might help our worship, but they are just forms – physical forms. The spiritual reality is what matters.

 

God is seeking worshipers who (in today's terms) don't just come to church, clock in, and clock out. His primary concern is not how strong or beautiful our voices are as we sing. When we are baptized, it is meaningless if it is only a ritual or a way of showing other people how righteous we are. When we take the Lord's supper, it is pointless if all we do is eat bread and drink wine/juice. The kind of worshipers God wants are people who are genuinely, spiritual repentant when they recognize their sins. God wants godly sorrow from people, sorrow that leads to repentance. He wants people to confess their sins because they are deeply aware of how imperfect they are, how filthy they are – not because they're in church and "it's time to confess our sins" ("Let's see. Have I sinned recently? I can't think of anything. Come on God, I must have done something wrong. You can't hold it against me for not confessing anything if I haven't done anything sinful." – this kind of "confession" is pointless). He wants people to receive forgiveness with deeply grateful, thankful hearts. Christ's forgiveness is not just a doctrine, a teaching to recite (Pastor: "How can we get to heaven?"//People (in monotony): "Christ died so that our sins can be forgiven."); no, Christ's death on the cross leading to our forgiveness is our only hope of any good at all! God wants worshipers who know His glory! His grace! His justice! His love! His faithfulness! His power! – people who see with spiritual eyes and are not focused on physical forms!

 

At this the woman, probably confused, says that when the Christ comes He will explain everything to everyone. And Jesus says, "I am (the Christ); I who am speaking to you."

 

So what I'm reading here is the explanation of the Messiah! God wants worshipers who worship in spirit and truth; not in physical form without understanding. Father, help me! I so easily get caught up in what I see with my physical eyes. Too often I forget the spiritual reality I am meant to remember. Baptism is supposed to remind me that we Christians have died, been buried, and been raised up again in Christ Jesus. Because of Jesus, we have life! The Lord's Supper is intended to remind me that Christ's body and blood were shed for me, and that His broken body and shed blood are my sustaining food. Without them, I would pass away. Father, I depend completely on You through Christ. You are everything! Help me to remember this always. Always!

 

No comments: