About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

John 4:27-30

Just as Jesus tells the woman that He is the Christ, His disciples return from their shopping trip. They find a surprise awaiting them; Jesus is talking with a woman! The text does not mention the fact that she is Samaritan here, so we can't say for sure that their surprise has anything to do with her culture. Obviously, we know that Jesus interacted with women. He had a mother, and sisters, too (Mt. 13:56). And there are other stories where Jesus interacts with women; some supported Him in His ministry, and He healed others.

 

But apparently Jesus did not normally interact with women – at least not when His disciples and a public gathering were not around. Perhaps this was to be above reproach and avoid any hint of immorality. The text doesn't say. But it does tell us that none of the (surprised) disciples said anything to Jesus or questioned Him. They trusted that their Master knew what He was doing.

 

The woman herself went back into the town to tell the people about Jesus. Her testimony was that Jesus spoke about all the things she had done, and she asked them whether her interpretation might be legitimate: "Could this be the Christ?" So the people of this town came out to Jesus.

 

Jesus can use anyone. He turned a multi-marriage Samaritan woman currently living with a man outside a marriage relationship into His primary witness in her town. Notice how little she had to say to draw people out to Jesus! Her testimony was basic. It wasn't, "See how spiritual I am now," or, "Look how smart I am now," or anything like that. It was simply, "Jesus knows me inside and out; He's amazing! You should meet Him! I think He's the Christ!" They could have ignored her. But they chose the other option – to visit with Jesus and find out whether He was as special as this woman claimed.

 

Father, forgive me. This woman knew so little. Her life seemed so worthless. Yet she spoke what she knew faithfully right from the start. And I have been given such a rich spiritual heritage, but I allow my fears and areas of doubt to keep me from sharing what I do know of Jesus with people. Forgive me. Use me, and teach me to obey You. And help all of us who feel inadequate or corrupted to see that Jesus uses inadequate, corrupted people. May our trust be in Jesus – the Jesus who worked among the Samaritans through this woman. Work among our families, friends, co-workers and neighbors through us – through me!

 

No comments: