About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

John 4:16-18

Now that the Samaritan woman has recognized her need for Jesus, or at least for the living water He offers, Jesus begins to lead her toward His living water. He leads her toward living water by telling her to go and return with her husband. And the Samaritan woman responds that she has no husband.

 

Everything seems normal. Why shouldn't a woman be free to tell someone that she has no husband?

 

Jesus takes advantage of the occasion to lead her to confession. He firmly agrees with her. But having no husband is not the same thing as being pure. Jesus recounts to the woman her life: "For you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband."

 

Jesus is the Word, the light of the world. He knows all things, and they will be revealed. We have already seen that men prefer to remain hidden rather than to come into the light (John 3:19-20). This Samaritan woman did not want Jesus to know all that she had sinfully done in her life. But He knew anyways. Her deeds were exposed anyways. Jesus came from the Father, full of grace and truth (John 1:14). She tried to give Jesus partial truth, but He is full of truth and exposed the shameful sins behind her factual words.

 

I must remember that Jesus knows me. He knows my thoughts. He knows my past actions. I cannot deceive Him, for He is full of truth. I cannot hide from Him. Even if I fear the exposure of my sins, I can have hope when I confess them to Him. He is the one who brings living water. And the living water He brings is so valuable that confessing my sins and sinfulness in exchange for His living water is a deal! Father, may I walk in the truth. May I not hide my sins from You. Reveal to me repeatedly that You know me intimately, and encourage me repeatedly with the reminder that You chose to associate with me anyways. Thank You. Thank You for reaching out to me. Thank You for exposing my sins, and for sending Jesus Christ to give me life and free me from sin and death. May I remember that I live always and only by Your grace.

 

No comments: