About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Missions Trip to Brazil

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. – 1 Peter 1:3

Hi,

If you received our Harner family Christmas letter or viewed it online at my three-quarter tank blog, then you know that God’s been very good to my family and me this year. It’s a privilege to serve as pastor at Swanton Alliance Church, where the believers are so wonderfully gracious.

Just like many churches, Swanton Alliance Church sends teams overseas on missions trips. For the past five years, we’ve sent teams to Brazil, where we’re cooperating with several Brazilian churches to plant a church in a location known as Estruteral, a village of poor people find living space in a garbage-dump area. We’ve also been helping with the Brazilian churches’ outreach efforts.

So on this particular trip, we look forward to passing out hygiene items in Estruteral, hosting an English camp, witnessing, extending church invitations to people we meet, perhaps doing some construction and maintenance work, and celebrating a partner church’s fifty-year anniversary with them. Oh yeah… and I’ll be preaching. Twice. With a translator, I hope. 

I yearn for your prayers. Needless to say, many details have to come together in order for 10 people to plan a 2 week (July 14th-28th, 2010) ministry trip to Brazil. Pray for our health, for our safety, for our cooperation and unity, for our spiritual preparation (we’re working through the book of Mark together), for our ministry preparation, for our organization, for our hosts—anything that you can think of, we probably need prayer for it. So please pray. At least once a week.

And I could also use your financial help. The trip will cost me (and every other team member) about $1600.00,
maybe a little more. I’ve already been setting my own money aside, and our team has also been doing fundraisers together—pancake breakfasts, garage sales, silent auctions. We’re trying to be frugal about our trip planning, too; we’ll be staying in church members’ homes rather than in hotels. But I could still use your help; my own funds are currently $1300 short. If you can’t contribute, please pray for us regularly, anyway. But if you can contribute, whether $5, $15, $25, $50, $100, $500 (ok, most of you can’t contribute $500, but some of you could if you wanted—I wouldn’t mind!), it would help a lot.

Let me know if you’ll be praying for me and the rest of the team. If you are also able to give, your gift will be tax deductible if you make your check out to “Swanton Alliance Church” and write “Matt Harner’s Brazil Trip fund” on the memo line. Any money coming in above the costs of my trip will go towards another team member’s expenses, and that would be a huge blessing to us all. We’re trying to buy our plane tickets in mid-to-late February. You can send any letters or checks to me at:

Swanton Alliance Church
113 Franklin Ave
Swanton, OH 43558

Thanks for being a part of my life and for praying faithfully for me, whether you can give or not.

Grace and peace –

Matt


No comments: