About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Got Discipline?

ALL - Psalm 1:1-6
ALL - Proverbs 1:1-6
OT - Genesis 1:1-2:25
NT - Matthew 1:1-2:12

People say that I’m a disciplined guy. But right now, I don’t feel like that’s very true. I don’t get out of bed when I’m supposed to. I don’t go to bed when I should. I don’t exercise. I barely manage to feed the dog—let alone play with her. I can’t seem to find time to manage the family finances. And when I get online for work purposes, I keep getting distracted by news story after news story after news story; they go on forever!

So I’ve been praying that God would give me discipline. Because I need it. I need discipline so that I can take care of my family as I should. I need discipline so that I can serve Christ’s church as I should. I need discipline just to take better care of myself!

Enter today’s reading from Proverbs:

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;
for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair; - Proverbs 1:1-3

If I hadn’t been praying for discipline, I don’t think I would have noticed how often the word “discipline” comes up in these opening words. Why read the Proverbs? Because the Proverbs are “for attaining…discipline” and “for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life.”

If you’re like me, and you need discipline in your life, join me in reading through the Proverbs this year.

Father, give me (us) discipline through Your wisdom!

Who’s with me?


No comments: