About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, August 16, 2010

People-Pleaser Evangelism

ALL – Psalm 34:11-22
ALL – Proverbs 21:14-16
OT – Nehemiah 11:1-12:26
NT – 1 Corinthians 10:15-11:2

Interesting passage for the day: That is the plan I follow, too. I try to please everyone in everything I do, not doing what I like or what is best for me, but what is best for them, so that they may be saved. – 1 Corinthians 10:33, The Living Bible

Thought: People-pleasing is often perceived as a bad thing. And it can be. When a desire to please people rises above a desire to please Jesus, we can be tempted to do shameful and foolish things. Because sometimes what pleases people is shameful and foolish.

But sometimes what pleases people is honorable. It may be honorable and ignorant, but it’s honorable. What do I mean by honorable and ignorant? I mean that sometimes people ask us to live up to really high standards—unnecessarily high standards (U.H.S.). People may be unaware (ignorant) of the fact that such high standards are unnecessary. But still, they are devoted to their high standards, and their high standards are honorable. Unnecessarily high, but honorable. And living up to those standards when it feels (is) unnecessary for us is another form of people-pleasing.

In Paul’s day, he dealt with whether or not to eat meat that had been sacrificed to idols. Some people’s U.H.S. said that no one should ever eat meat sacrificed to idols. In our day, we deal with things like whether to ever drink beer or wine, for instance. Some people’s U.H.S. say that we should never touch the stuff. And these are not the only U.H.S. There are many more. But when people ask us to live up to these expectations, they are not asking us to be sinful or shameful. In such cases, people-pleasing can be honorable.

So the next time you feel like saying, “Uh… you know you don’t have to worry about that, right?” perhaps it would be better to follow Paul’s rule. Do some people-pleasing. Some honorable people-pleasing. Please others not just for the sake of making them happy, but so that you help them to see that Jesus Christ is more honorable than any standard they can set. Please people so that they can be saved and please Jesus.

Question: Why do we not want to live up to other people’s expectations? What do you think of people who are zealously disciplined about their standards? Why would you not want to be associated with that?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This scripture seems to be speaking about our behavior among unbelievers, not believers, so as to win them to Christ. The particular example you used of drinking has become largely an issue of churchgoers rules and less and less those who do not yet know Christ. I don't think I presently know any unbelievers who would see drinking as a stumbling block to keep them from Christ. I'm wondering if we are not perpetuating legalism that Christ condemns by allowing believers to declare something is so that isn't scriptural? There are some pretty strong warnings in the Bible about adding to the word or requiring things of other believers that God does not. I have no desire to drink, but I think it is my job to change my attitude about Christians world wide who do so in moderation. I have to remind myself that Jesus first miracle was changing water into wine. I need to not judge the very thing that Jesus supplied. :) How this works with Paul's command for us to not be a stumbling block is another conversation. :)

three-quarter tank said...

I'm pretty sure that this particular verse includes both believers and unbelievers. Look at the verse before it: "Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks, or the church of God" (1 Cor. 10:32, NIV).

With that said, I think your comments on legalism fit right into what I was aiming for. Do you think that prohibitions against drinking are purely about legalism, though? Is it possible that people's (believers') consciences are genuinely bothered by the thought of what alcohol leads to?

Anonymous said...

I have been challenged by several believers to rethink these verses over the years, and it is hard for me to say the things I did. But I am very convicted that Jesus wrath fell on the Pharisees, and I want to check myself to be sure I'm not becoming one in my thoughts and attitudes. I will never drink and I find myself uncomfortable with the idea of Christian's drinking, but it is abundantly clear that Jesus was not uncomfortable with it. He not only drank alcohol, but he provided it in abundance to people who had already been drinking, and offered it as a symbol of his own precious and holy body.

I think there are ways that drinking can and is a stumbling block, but I've come to fear that this attitude of one must never drink is quite contrary to scripture. Perhaps I should never drink, but that does not mean we should state that it is wrong for anyone to do so. We need to be sensitive to not be a stumbling block, but equally so we must not add rules that aren't there. I'm fearful of judgment on us as we do so.

three-quarter tank said...

I'm really glad you've said what you said. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't touch alcohol either, but I'm convinced from Scripture that drinking in moderation (avoiding drunkenness) is not only "ok," but something that many believers can do with joyful thanksgiving to God.

I guess I'm coming from the perspective, "What should we do when people impose their unnecessary high standards on us?" And my answer, based on this passage is, "Tell them that their standards are higher than they need to be, but gladly conform for their sake."

On the other hand, this passage and others provide clear warnings against being a Pharisee. People who see others' convictions as being "too strict" are not the only ones called to love. Those of us who are prone to being Pharisees are called to love, too... by not imposing our debatable convictions on others.

I'm so glad you've spoken up on this. Thank you, and I welcome any more thoughts you'd like to share.