About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, August 20, 2010

I Can’t Understand You!

ALL – Psalm 37:12-28
ALL – Proverbs 21:25-26
OT – Job 1:1-3:26
NT – 1 Corinthians 14:1-17

Interesting passage for the day: I suppose that there are hundreds of different languages in the world, and all are excellent for those who understand them, but to me they mean nothing. A person talking to me in one of these languages will be a stranger to me and I will be a stranger to him. – 1 Corinthians 14:10-11, The Living Bible

Thought: During my recent trip to Brazil, I learned a few words in Portuguese. I learned more Portuguese words than many people expected me to learn, and it was very enjoyable. But I have to be honest: if our hosts had not been able to communicate at least a bit in English, or to share praise songs with us that have the same tunes and meanings in both English and Portuguese, it would have been impossible to develop the relationships that blossomed during our time there. Understanding binds people together; mutual meaninglessness creates strangers and, sometimes, even enemies.

The first goal of a missionary in a foreign culture is understanding the language. Without that understanding, he/she will be a stranger to the host nation forever.

The first goal of a teacher in a classroom is to explain ideas clearly and to carefully define the meaning of any technical words as they come along. Using technical language without defining its meaning for the students would leave the teacher alone in understanding his lesson.

The first goal of a pastor in his assigned church is to help people hear God’s Word clearly. Without understanding God’s Word, no one would have a reason to zealously love and serve Jesus Christ.

And the first goal of a Christian with other believers or with neighbors and co-workers is to be plain about the basis for his hope of eternal life—to be able to say, “The God who created life plans to give me life forever, even if I die first, because the crimes that separated me from Him have already been punished. God’s Son, Jesus Christ, died the death I deserved. And I know that God can raise me to life, because God raised Jesus to life again. I’ve entrusted my life into Jesus’ hands, and I’m following His teachings until God brings me home forever.”

Can we be clear? Jesus is alive, even though He died. He invites us to be His people. And I’ve accepted the invitation.

Question: Do you have the kind of hope I have? What would happen if we all expressed our hope clearly to the people in our lives? If you don’t have this hope yet, would you want it?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: