About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Breather/Truce

ALL – Psalm 35:1-16
ALL – Proverbs 21:17-18
OT – Nehemiah 12:27-13:31
NT – 1 Corinthians 11:3-16

Interesting passage for the day: But remember that in God’s plan men and women need each other. – 1 Corinthians 11:11, The Living Bible

Thought: I know there’s a debate over women’s roles in the church. But I’d like to focus on one area of agreement for a moment. I’m coming from the Complementarian side of things (for those who care), and I would like to affirm that men and women need one another.

Just for existence, for one thing. Women wouldn’t exist if men didn’t help out in their own way, and men wouldn’t exist if women didn’t give birth to them.

But in the daily rhythms of life, too, we need one another. Even without getting into a discussion of which people should shoulder which responsibilities, there are simply too many responsibilities in this life for one person to try carrying them all alone. That’s why even singles end up working as teams (finding roommates, for instance, to share chores and costs) or hiring people to perform various services for them; without help, life is simply overwhelming.

Thank goodness that God created both men and women, and that we are interdependent in His plan. He’s good.

Question: How long has it been since you affirmed a woman (if you’re a man)? Or a man (if you’re a woman)? What can you do to let the significant opposite-gender people in your life know they’re valued, rather than waging an ongoing battle of the sexes?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.


1 comment:

three-quarter tank said...

Note: Someone close to me suggested that my final questions could be taken in a harmful direction, where men and women invest time in affirming non-spouses.

The idea is not that affirming a non-spouse now and then is a bad thing, but that the primary people we should be affirming are our spouses. Male-female relationships outside the family boundaries should be friendly, polite and encouraging--but there should be boundaries, too. My hope is to see husbands and wives, sons and moms, daughters and dads, brothers and sisters affirming one another more as a result of my thoughts in this post (and even more so, as a result of God's thoughts in His Word). We need one another, and we have to recognize it. At the same time, let's follow God in complete holiness.