About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

With What Shall I Fix It?

ALL – Psalm 40:1-10
ALL – Proverbs 10:11-12
OT – Leviticus 14:1-57
NT – Mark 6:30-56

One of my best excuses is, “I don’t know how.”

It covers just about everything I don’t want to do. After all, anything that I want to do, I make time to learn and to practice. So there are quite a few things I have almost no knowledge about.

Another great excuse is, “I don’t have anything to give.” What we mean, of course, is that the budget is tight and helping out would be a sacrifice. Sometimes the need is actually greater than we can meet by ourselves. But usually not. Usually it’s just that we would prefer not to give, so we say, “I don’t have anything to give.”

Jesus disciples faced that situation one day. A crowd of at least 5000 was in front of them, and Jesus came up with a crazy idea:

But Jesus said, “You feed them.”

“With what?” they asked. “It would take a fortune to buy food for all this crowd!”

“How much food do we have?” he asked. “Go and find out.”

They came back to report that there were five loaves of bread and two fish.
– Mark 6:37-38

It’s at this point that we expect Jesus to say, “Oh, you’re right. You really don’t have enough. Oh well. Forget that plan.” But instead Jesus takes what the disciples have been able to drum up and uses it to feed the whole crowd.

When will we stop holding so tightly to the little we have instead of obeying Jesus and giving to meet the needs He calls us to meet? When will we learn that He doesn’t expect us to meet people’s needs on our own? When will we realize that Jesus can take care of the needs on His own? When will we see that Jesus’ goal is to change our hearts? When will we respond by trusting Him and generously joining Him in His acts of love?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: