About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Unforgiveable

ALL – Psalm 37:1-11
ALL – Proverbs 10:3-4
OT – Leviticus 6:1-7:27
NT – Mark 3:7-30

There may be times when we don’t really care whether we receive forgiveness or not. We may justify our behavior or words and not even seek forgiveness. But when we get to the point where we want to be forgiven—well, then we pretty much expect forgiveness. I mean, we shouldn’t. But we do. We expect forgiveness. And the idea that anything might not be forgiven is horrifying. Horrifying, but not unimaginable.

What we cannot imagine is that we might be unforgiveable.

I solemnly declare that any sin of man can be forgiven, even blasphemy against me; but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven. It is an eternal sin. – Jesus (Mark 3:28-29, The Living Bible).

The unimaginable. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable.

What’s blasphemy, by the way?
• Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people. (Exodus 22:28, NIV) – Here it has to do with the violence with which we speak against God.
• But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or alien, blasphemes the Lord, and that person must be cut off from his people. (Numbers 15:30, NIV) – Here it has to do with the defiance of one’s sins.

So what’s blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? It’s either speaking of the Holy Spirit or acting toward Him in a way that declares your hatred and disdain for Him.

Some blasphemy may be done ignorantly, without any genuine belief that one is actually blaspheming God. Paul says that he blasphemed in this way, and says, “I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief” (1 Tim. 1:13, NIV). It may be that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, if done in ignorance and unbelief, can still receive mercy.

But this isn’t one of those situations when I would suggest testing your luck.

How can we encourage one another to obey and speak well of the Holy Spirit?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.


No comments: