About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Spiritual Adultery

2 Kings 1-2; Psalm 139; Proverbs 17:19-21

 

Never cheat on God. He doesn’t take it lightly.

 

When Ahaziah fell and hurt himself, he wanted to have a divine answer to the question, “Will I recover from this injury?” But he sent his messengers to Ekron, a Philistine city, to consult with their god(s).

 

The angel of the LORD didn’t take this lightly. He gave a message to the prophet Elijah:

 

Go up and meet the messengers of the king of Samaria and ask them, `Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going off to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?' Therefore this is what the LORD says: `You will not leave the bed you are lying on. You will certainly die!'– 2 Kings 1:3b-4a

 

How’s that for jealousy? Cheating on God is serious! Don’t try it.

 

Father God, thank You that when I come to you I come to the one true God. There is no other God – not only is there no God like You; there is no God but You. Where else would I turn for help? Every other so-called god is a lying demon, and people who believe the demonic lies will one day find that their supposed gods were simply seeking their destruction. But You are God! Truly God! May I always, always turn to You! Keep Your people faithful to You! And if I ever am tempted to turn away, may I remember that You not only love those who trust in You, but that You will one day punish all those who reject You and rebel against You.

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it when God asks questions! I think it was revealing when God asked, "Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going off to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?" At the very bottom of spiritual adultery is usually a spiritual identity problem. In this state we must, choose, yet this day, whom we will serve. If God be God, then choose life, for to choose any other, this is death.

three-quarter tank said...

That's exactly it. We know we have today to choose, and our choice is God or death. Life is found with no one else.