About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Love Triumphs Over Sin

1 Kings 3:3-4:34; Psalm 126; Proverbs 16:26-27

 

Right from the beginning of Solomon’s reign, God loved Solomon more than he loved God: Solomon showed his love for the LORD by walking according to the statutes of his father David, except that he offered sacrifices and burned incense on the high places. – 1 Kings 3:3

 

From the beginning of Solomon’s reign, there was already an exception to the love Solomon showed for God. He sacrificed on the high places rather than before God’s ark of the covenant. But God still loved Solomon, just as He had promised (2 Sam. 7:14-15). In fact, it was while Solomon was sacrificing on one of the high places (1 Kings 3:4) that God appeared to him in a dream and generously gave him the wisdom he asked for, and much more besides:

 

I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for--both riches and honor--so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life. – 1 Kings 3:12-14

 

Right from the start, God was demonstrating the love he had promised to David’s son. Solomon’s love was incomplete. God’s was not.

 

Father, thank You that Your love is greater than ours. Forgive us for the limitations on our love. We should love You with everything we think, feel, say and do. And we fall short. So forgive us, please! But at the same time, thank You! Your love is so faithful, so eternal, so limitless, so full of goodness and kindness toward us. You are patient with us and You endure our weaknesses, our limitations, our failures and our sins. All the while, You still offer us Your love! May we respond appropriately!

 

No comments: