About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Justice. Delayed

1 Kings 2:1-3:2; Psalm 125; Proverbs 16:25

 

Bring his gray head down to the grave in blood. – 1 Kings 2:9

 

Whoa! David’s words to his son Solomon are shocking, especially considering that he was talking about a man to whom he had personally promised peace (1 Kings 2:8). But in David’s last words, we see him calling on Solomon to bring about good for those who have treated him well, and to bring justice against those who have wronged people and seem to have gotten away with it.

 

We should remember this. David exercised patience throughout his lifetime. He did not punish everyone who deserved to be punished. But that did not mean that he was unaware of sin, or that he approved of it. David was content to be patient because he did not have to be the one to exercise justice. He could wait because another king was on the way. Justice would eventually be done.

 

We may suffer for a lifetime. And it may be wrong. It might involve being insulted, cheated, robbed, beaten, wrongly condemned, forsaken – any manner of things. But we do not have to make sure that justice is done within our lifetimes. We can endure. We can continue to live without getting caught up in hatred and bitterness and the activities that come with them. Why? Because a king is coming who will see that justice is done. When Jesus comes again, all will be made right. We can wait for that. We don’t have to be vengeful.

 

Father, when it becomes too overwhelming for me to deal with other people’s sins, or when I am powerless to exercise justice, or when I have made a promise to live at peace with an enemy for the rest of my life, help me. Help me not to get too frustrated. Help me not to start thinking that justice is a fantasy. Help me to remember that justice is not in my hands – that it was never in my hands. My hands cannot be trusted to carry the weight of justice. They are not worthy. But Your hands are righteous. And You are just. And I can wait on You. Thank You for Your patience with me and everyone else. Restore us now. And then, we look forward to the day when You make everything right!

 

No comments: