About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Letter to A Friendly King

1 Kings 5-6; Psalm 127; Proverbs 16:28-30

 

King Hiram had always been on friendly terms with King David (1 Kings 5:1). So when Solomon became king in David’s place, Hiram wanted to continue the good relationship. He sent messengers to congratulate Solomon. Solomon sent a letter back:

 

"You know that because of the wars waged against my father David from all sides, he could not build a temple for the Name of the LORD his God until the LORD put his enemies under his feet. But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side, and there is no adversary or disaster. I intend, therefore, to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God, as the LORD told my father David, when he said, `Your son whom I will put on the throne in your place will build the temple for my Name.'

 

"So give orders that cedars of Lebanon be cut for me. My men will work with yours, and I will pay you for your men whatever wages you set. You know that we have no one so skilled in felling timber as the Sidonians." – 1 Kings 5:3-6

 

What I love about this exchange is Solomon’s openness about the LORD his God. I assume that David shared openly about the LORD when he spoke with Hiram, too. Hiram was probably a pagan king – after all, he was not an Israelite. But he welcomed Solomon’s view on God’s blessings and direction (1 Kings 5:7). What a wonderful, honest, open way of seeing God’s promise that Abraham’s seed would be a blessing to the nations begin to be fulfilled!

 

Father, help me to be so honest and open with unbelievers around me. May I speak so highly of You that they at least understand how great a God I know You are, whether they agree or not. But may my neighbors, relative and friends come to agree. May they know that You are God, and there is none like You!

 

No comments: