About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Currently Reading--

I just received Lectures to My Students by C.H. Spurgeon from Amazon.com today. I've heard good things about this book, so I was glad that I had finished my Greek paper today. It gave me the chance to begin reading.

I have not completed the first chapter yet, just the first section. Based on what I have read so far, I'm guessing that much of the advice in this book will be the kind of advice I have heard and read many times. However, I am still excited about reading this book. As Peter writes, "I think it is good to remind [myself] of these things, even though [I] already [have heard] them..." Good advice is never unwelcome, or at least should never be unwelcome.

On a side note, I find that many people - often myself included - respond to good advice they've heard previously by dismissing it with the words, "I know, I know." It hit me one day that, if I was willing to dismiss good advice, perhaps I hadn't truly learned to apply it as well as I thought. "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." I am trying to humble myself constantly to listen to things I think "I know" already, re-learning them by diligently applying them in each new situation. I have found myself to be much more blessed by this approach than by the approach that simply responds, "I know," and then seeks some deeper, wiser advice (which is unlikely to be found).

But back to the first section of Lectures to My Students. Talk about something that ought to be obvious! Spurgeon spends four tightly-written pages warning preachers to be certain that they themselves are saved! Initially I found the same fleshly response welling up in myself again: "I know this already. I think I'll skip to the good stuff." But I continued to read, and I found the message helpful. How dare I plan to preach and teach the good news of God's grace unless I am sure I have received it myself? And by taking the time to be sure that I have received it, I am now refreshed in my Spirit, reminded of God's goodness to me. I am saved. I have been set free, so that I no longer must obey sin, but can instead live a righteous life by Christ's grace, mercy, and power. I have received the Holy Spirit, and I have an eternity of serving Christ to look forward to. If I were unsaved, following the advice would have yielded another blessing: I could have taken advantage of the opportunity and given my life up to Jesus. Either way, following this simple advice leads to God's blessings. So if you're reading this – even if you don't intend to be a preacher one day – make sure that you spend some time considering the true nature of your relationship to Jesus, too.

Be sure you're walking with Him.

No comments: