About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Acts 9:36-43

    In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas), who was always doing good and helping the poor. About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. Lydda was near Joppa; so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, "Please come at once!"

 

    Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them.

 

    Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, "Tabitha, get up." She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called the believers and the widows and presented her to them alive. This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord. Peter stayed in Joppa for some time with a tanner named Simon.

 

So Peter raised Tabitha from the dead. What does this teach us today?

 

Does it teach us that really honorable people will always be brought back to life to go on serving (in this life)? Tabitha was certainly honorable. She was “always doing good and helping the poor.” When Peter came, the weeping widows showed him all the clothing that she had made for them. She cared about people in very practical ways, and she would have been sorely missed if Peter had not raised her from the dead. But such wonderful people are not always raised – yet. If that were true, then we would have to wonder why Stephen did not get resurrected after his martyrdom. We have to wait for Jesus’ return to see all His disciples raised to life again. Even Tabitha!

 

Does it teach us that we disciples ought to be doing a lot more healings and resurrections in our day? I wish it did! But the gifts of healing and miracles seem to have been restricted mostly to the apostles. Notice that it was other disciples who called Peter to Joppa. They did not, and presumably could not, raise Tabitha to life. So healings and miracles like this one are not for all believers to do. The Holy Spirit distributes His gifts as He sees fit. Some believers are given the gifts of healings and miracles; many of us are not. It is interesting to me that the New Testament speaks only of church leaders who had such gifts; I wonder whether there are church leaders in our day who have these gifts but who have never been asked to use them.

 

But what does Tabitha’s healing teach us? It teaches us that Jesus is the source of resurrection! When Tabitha was raised to life, did everyone worship Peter? No. “Many people believed in the Lord.” When Peter went to Joppa and raised Tabitha, how did he begin? “Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed.” We don’t know what he prayed. He may not have known when he knelt down whether Jesus wanted him to raise Tabitha; perhaps he was asking for guidance. Or perhaps he was asking Jesus whether he was authorized to raise this particular person, Tabitha. But whatever the prayer was about, Peter knew he could not raise Tabitha from the dead by his wishes. He couldn’t raise her from the dead by his own powers; do you and I have that kind of power in us? He couldn’t raise her from the dead by his own authority; he needed authority from above. It was Jesus’ will to raise Tabitha from the dead, and Tabitha was raised by Jesus’ power and authority.

 

All life comes through Jesus. All life, including life after death. Jesus gives us spiritual life after our sins have killed us. Jesus gives physical life after our bodies have fallen apart. Though He does not raise every believer from the dead now, when Jesus comes again we will all be raised, restored to do good works forever. Jesus is the resurrection and the life! Let’s put all our hope in Him!

 

Father, thank You for another reminder that my one hope is in Jesus Christ. Without Him, all the pleasure I can expect to have is limited to this life. And to be honest, in this cursed world, with its sin and decay, I can get depressed. It is so encouraging to know that Jesus gives life! It is so encouraging to know that Jesus can overcome every part of the curse – even death! I look forward to the day when Jesus comes again. I am so excited to know that one day I will have a body that never gets sick or hurt or weak! Lord, with that hope in mind, help me to live joyfully NOW. Help me to put up with pain and sickness – and even to look death in the face without fear – knowing that their hold on me is limited. Help me to serve the people around me gladly, even when I am exhausted, because I know that Jesus will renew my life. Help me to be a faithful servant now, while it is difficult, because I know that I will one day receive my King’s rewards.

 

No comments: