About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Acts 11:1-18

    The apostles and the brothers throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him and said, "You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them."

 

    Peter began and explained everything to them precisely as it had happened: "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. Then I heard a voice telling me, `Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'

 

    "I replied, `Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'

 

    "The voice spoke from heaven a second time, `Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.' This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.

 

    "Right then three men who had been sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying. The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man's house. He told us how he had seen an angel appear in his house and say, `Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'

 

    "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. Then I remembered what the Lord had said: `John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' So if God gave them the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could oppose God?"

 

    When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."

 

We’ve already heard that God accepted the Gentiles, demonstrating His acceptance by sending Peter to Cornelius’ family and giving them the Holy Spirit when the heard the good news about Jesus. For us today, since we’re used to the idea that non-Jews can be saved by God, this seems like no big deal.

 

But it is huge! Look at this story! The apostles and brothers throughout Judea hear something: they hear that the Gentiles have received the word of God. And what is their response? It’s probably the same response Peter would have had if God hadn’t given him a vision and told him – directly commanded him through the Holy Spirit – to go with his non-Jew visitors. They took issue with Peter! They were too distracted by the fact that Peter ate with uncircumcised, non-covenanted men to praise God that more people had heard God’s words! We may look back and think how foolish that was, but we have 2000 years of history in which God has revealed Himself to non-Jews. Prior to this, God revealed Himself almost exclusively to Jews! And He gave His covenant to Jews. So the Jews had a right to be confused. We also should test people when they bring something strange to the table of our fellowship with God. God has already told us what it looks like to fellowship with Him, and we don’t want to receive what God hasn’t welcomed to the table. While we may find their reaction odd, given the fact that we’re humans with a limited grasp of what God is doing, I hope that we would prioritize clinging to what we do know of God while examining new ideas, like they did. Why? Because they were being faithful to God. And it wouldn’t take long for God to teach His people some new things so long as they were listening to Him. But it’s always good to check and make sure a new direction is coming from God.

 

But Peter reported to them the whole story – his vision, Cornelius’ vision and need for someone to bring a message through which he and his family would be saved (since they weren’t yet) – and the way that Jesus showed He had accepted these Gentiles by giving them the Holy Spirit. He reminded them of Jesus’ words: “John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” These men who knew Jesus saw it immediately. God really was doing a new thing! He really was offering salvation to non-Jews!

 

Father, thank You that those who loved and knew You were wary of new directions. Thank You that they set us an example. An example of holding faithfully to what You had revealed so far. And an example of examining and accepting a new direction from You, a direction that they were able to see was in line with Your work all along. Thank You that Your new direction was to accept and save people like me. Lord, may I follow their example of faithfulness to You. And may I also continue the tradition started way back in Acts 10 and 11 of offering Your good news to everyone – Jew or non-Jew. May people hear Your message and throw themselves at Your feet for the mercy we all need, but only You give.

 

 

No comments: