About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Acts 11:27-30

During this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. One of them, named Agabus, stood up and through the Spirit predicted that a severe famine would spread over the entire Roman world. (This happened during the reign of Claudius.) The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea. This they did, sending their gift to the elders by Barnabas and Saul.

 

During this time… This time when the Jewish believers were beginning to preach the gospel to non-Jews, this time when Barnabas and Saul were ministering among the believes in Antioch, this time when the Antiochenes gave the believers for the first time the title Christians. During this time, a prophet named Agabus came to Antioch and gave a Spirit-led prediction that there would be a severe famine, and this took place during the reign of Claudius. According to Barnes, there were four famines during Claudius’ reign, and one of them was particularly severe in Judea, continuing for several years.

 

How did these non-Jews who were the first disciples to be called Christians respond? They responded by recognizing their familial responsibilities. They responded by providing help for the brothers – the Jewish believers. These Gentiles now considered the Jewish believers to be brothers! Where before the good news, there had been a clear distinction and division between Jews and non-Jews, the distinction was now gone – erased in Jesus Christ. Both Jewish believers and Gentile believers had a new identity with Jesus as their Lord and Savior, a new identity that counted their faith in Jesus Christ a more important mark of their citizenship and family ties than their ancestry.

 

So they acted like brothers. Brothers don’t let each other down. Brothers don’t leave each other to fend for themselves. When one brother goes down, another brother is there to pick him up again. And so these non-Jews, these Christians, sent a gift to the elders in Judea to provide for their brothers during the famine.

 

Father, help me to see people this way. We live in a world where secularism has followed on the heels of Christianity’s unifying principle, claiming that we ought to see all the world as brothers and overlook all distinctions. And there is certainly a way in which I ought to see all people as my human brothers and sisters, seeking to help where I can and to make peace in all places. But there is one dividing line who will never change, who makes me family with some even though I am neighbor to all: Jesus Christ. Because of Jesus, may I remember to respond with empathy and help particularly for those who are family in Christ. My resources are limited, so teach me to meet the needs of my own family as well as I can. May I prioritize Your people, Father, who are also my people. May I prioritize them anytime I have to make a choice because those who believe in Jesus are family.

 

No comments: