About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Acts 8:14-24

Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, "Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! "You have no part or portion in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. "Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you. "For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity." But Simon answered and said, "Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."

 

It all started well. The apostles in Jerusalem heard the good news that Samaria was receiving God’s Word! So they sent Peter and John.

 

The Samarians had not received the Holy Spirit yet. They had put their trust in Jesus as they heard Philip proclaiming that Jesus was the Lord of all Creation and willing to forgive them for their sins. They had been baptized in Jesus’ name. But they had not yet received the Holy Spirit.

 

So Peter and John prayed for them. When people receive Jesus’ claim on their lives, submit to His reign and receive His forgiveness, Jesus pours out the Holy Spirit on them. So Peter and John prayed that Jesus would fulfill His promise and send the Holy Spirit, showing again that He is God’s glorified Christ. And then, knowing that it was God’s will for the Samarians to receive the Holy Spirit, the apostles laid their hands on the Samarians, who received the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit was not the apostles’ gift to the Samarians; the Holy Spirit was God’s gift.

 

Simon, though, coming from his background in magic and sorcery, saw this as his opportunity to have great power in his hands again. So he asked the apostles for authority to give the Holy Spirit to people by laying his hands on them – in exchange for money. Essentially, he offered them a bribe. Authority is given from above. It is assigned to and conferred on those who are counted as qualified. But Simon brought money, hoping that quick cash would induce the apostles to give him authority regardless of his qualifications.

 

It didn’t work. The money tipped the apostles off to Simon’s heart and understanding. Although he believed in Jesus, what he believed in was Jesus’ power to make miracles happen. He loved power. He wanted to be close to power, to have it in his hands. So he asked the apostles for authority to handle the power they handled. And they rebuked him. Peter rejected the money. To him, it was as worthless as the man who had offered it, when compared to the glorious goodness and gift of God.

 

What was required to participate in sharing the Holy Spirit with others? A heart that was right before God – a clean heart that only God could give. But Simon’s heart was bitter, perverted and bound by sin. Peter urged him to pray, repenting to God for his sins and asking for forgiveness.

 

And Simon responded that the apostles needed to pray for him. He was terrified, because he had seen the power of God. And now he had been told that his sinful heart marked him for destruction! While we might lean toward thinking that Simon is refusing to take responsibility for his own sin before God, not praying and repenting to God for himself (and this may be what’s going on), it seems more likely that Simon is genuinely repentant and scared. And he pleads with the apostles to pray for him because he knows the condition of his own heart! In essence, Simon is saying, “You’re right, I’m twisted and sinful! And I know that I deserve to be judged by God! And I know that I could never stand before His wrath! You know God, and He is pleased with you! Pray for me!” This was not a rejection of a relationship with God. This was a plea that God’s friends join Simon in seeking God’s mercy!

 

Father, thank You, first of all, that I can have a part in introducing people to Jesus and leading them to receive Your Holy Spirit – not because my heart is naturally clean, but because through Jesus You have cleaned me and made me Your child and friend. Now, Father, help me to minister to those around me. Help me to minister to them by telling them the truth – pointing out false and shallow religion, selfishness, twisted hearts and ways – so that they will see their need for Your mercy. But help me also to minister to them by praying for them. Help me to join Jesus in His priestly ministry, coming to You for mercy and salvation, confessing my friends’ sins and asking for Your forgiveness toward them, just as Jesus did on the cross and Stephen did while being stoned. May I carry the burdens of those around me to You in prayer.

 

No comments: