About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Acts 7:54-60

When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."

 

At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.

 

While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

 

The response to Stephen’s message was fundamentally different from that of the people who heard Peter’s sermon. At Peter’s sermon, when people were told that they had opposed their Lord, they recognized their sin and their danger and cried out for help. At Stephen’s sermon/trial, when people heard that they had opposed their Lord, they denied Jesus’ lordship and denied Stephen’s charges, instead becoming very angry at what they thought were false charges.

 

In the midst of this angry crowd, Stephen was full of the Holy Spirit, and he saw His hope fulfilled. He saw the glory of God in heaven, and he saw Jesus standing at God’s right hand – Jesus, the King who had forgiven Stephen’s sins. He told his accusers what he saw – that his hope was real, and their danger was real.

 

They rejected the truth. They rejected Jesus as King. They rejected the idea that they were rebels. They rejected the idea that Jesus could offer forgiveness before God. They rejected the messenger of truth. So they stoned Stephen. Specifically, Saul was one of the men involved.

 

While they stoned him, Stephen cried out to Jesus. He cried for his own salvation – for his hope to be fulfilled. Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. Just like Jesus, as He died, had put His hope for life in His Father’s hands (Luke 23:46), so also Stephen, as he died, put his hope for life in Jesus’ hands. Jesus had forgiven him. Jesus would sustain his life. Stephen also cried out for his persecutors’ salvation. Lord, do not hold this sin against them. David had written, Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him (Psalm 32:2). Stephen had received that blessing, and throughout his trial, his desire had been to help his persecutors receive that blessing. Even now, as they killed him, Stephen’s love for them and desire for their reconciliation with God shines through. Stephen had learned this love from his Savior, Jesus Christ, who pleaded for His murderers as He died on the cross, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing (Luke 23:34).

 

The desire of the King had become the desire of the servant. The ministry of the King had become the ministry of the servant. The sacrifice of the King had become the sacrifice of the servant. The mercy of the King had become the mercy of the servant. And the life of the King would guarantee the life of the servant.

 

Father, may I be a servant like Stephen. May I serve You as an expression of my joyful worship, a response to Your great mercy in Jesus Christ. May my heart cry out for others to experience Your mercy. May I proclaim the truth to them, not angrily, but in the hope that they will repent for their rebellion against their rightful King. May I be willing to die to tell Your enemies that they can repent and receive forgiveness. Since I have received Your mercy, may I be merciful toward others; may I remember to pray that You will forgive my enemies. Thank You that I have forgiveness and that, since Jesus has given me forgiveness, I can also expect to be raised up from death. With this hope firmly in my heart, may I proclaim the truth to Your enemies fearlessly. And may all Your people do the same.

 

No comments: