About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Student-Teachers

ALL – Psalm 97:1-98:9
ALL – Proverbs 26:13-16
OT – Jeremiah 49:23-50:46
NT – Titus 1:1-16

Interesting passage for the day: Their belief in the truth which they have been taught must be strong and steadfast, so that they will be able to teach it to others and show those who disagree with them where they are wrong. – Titus 1:9, The Living Bible

Thought: The other evening our church had a discussion about biblical femininity. The Bible addresses the topic, for sure, and definitely encourages women to serve God exactly as He made them—as women, not men. The implications of that rather common-sense truth are sometimes less-than-clear, though. As I guided the discussion, I kept remembering how many questions I still have about what God is asking of His church’s women.

I’m still a student. But I’m a teacher. And that is one of the great challenges of being an elder or pastor.

The verse above indicates that elders’ faith in “the truth which they have been taught” should be very firm. In some ways, no problem. On many issues, “the Bible teaches it, I believe it, and that’s the end of the discussion.”

But on some issues, “the Bible teaches it, I believe it, but I can’t give you a complete list of the implications of this teaching yet. I’m still learning.”

As an elder/teacher, sometimes we understand what the Bible says, and we understand what it means, but we don’t quite understand what it means for us and for those we lead. Sometimes we have to make a judgment call. In those cases, what Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 7:25 and 40 is helpful to remember today, too: “I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy … and I think that I, too, have the Spirit of God” (NIV).

To those fellow students who are not leaders and disagree with me or other church leaders at times: first, we cannot lord it over your faith; but second, please remember that our desire is to serve Jesus Christ faithfully by His mercy and the power of His Spirit, and that even without perfect knowledge we may well be trustworthy. We want the best for you and for the kingdom of God.

Question: When you reject a church leader’s advice, how often are you sure that he’s wrong? How often is it just that you’re not sure he’s right? How often might it be because you don’t want him to be right and choose to disregard his message?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: