About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

For Them

ALL – Psalm 80:1-19
ALL – Proverbs 25:1-5
OT – Jeremiah 14:11-16:15
NT – 1 Thessalonians 2:9-3:13

Interesting passage for the day: We can bear anything as long as we know that you remain strong in him. – 1 Thess. 3:8, The Living Bible

Thought: There was another school shooting Friday (google “Kelly Elementary School shooting”). This time it was some crazy man, shooting at elementary kids. Thankfully, none were killed, and several construction workers reacted quickly to subdue the man.

I would do just about anything to protect kids from a shooter—at least, I hope I would. Especially my own kids. To keep my kids strong and healthy, I wouldn’t mind the risk (and possibility) of suffering.

I think that’s kind of Paul’s thought here. His spiritual children were facing persecutors—grown-up bullies. And Paul couldn’t get there to help the people he loved. So he was just in agony. But then he was finally able to get the news that their faith was still strong. And the news that his spiritual children were healthy was enough to set his heart at ease, even though the circumstances that had kept him from getting to them were still in place. He could put up with his own troubles if he knew that the Thessalonians were doing ok.

Question: Is there anyone for whom you would go through just about anything to make sure of their spiritual safety? What is keeping you from helping them grow closer to Christ right now? What are you free to do to help them?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: