About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Living Here, Aiming There

ALL – Psalm 78:26-58
ALL – Proverbs 24:27
OT – Jeremiah 8:8-9:26
NT – Colossians 3:1-17

Interesting passage for the day: Since you became alive again, so to speak, when Christ arose from the dead, now set your sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven where he sits beside God in the place of honor and power. Let heaven fill your thoughts; don’t spend your time worrying about things down here. – Colossians 3:1-2, The Living Bible

Thought: If heaven is supposed to fill our thoughts, are we supposed to despise life down here? Are we supposed to ignore the people we love, the places we cherish, the joys we experience? Are we supposed to pretend that nothing in the world is ugly, broken or painful? Is this world pointless?

No. It’s not. We live here. For now, we live here.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not arguing with Paul (or with the Holy Spirit, for that matter). I’m saying that I don’t think that “setting your sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven” and not “spend[ing] your time worrying about things down here” means ignoring the world we live in.

I think it means experiencing this life more fully. Not “worrying about things down here” means allowing yourself to see this world’s brokenness more clearly than you ever have before. Life down here can be totally futile! No matter how often I make my bed, it gets messy again. No matter how hard I exercise, I sooner or later lose my strength. No matter how much I teach my children, they end up making their own mistakes. No matter how hard I work, my work’s never done. And sometimes life is just plain painful. Unfair. Bitterly disappointing. Other people are jerks. I am a jerk. We’re supposed to experience all this more fully because we know Jesus. We’re supposed to stop pretending that we don’t see how overwhelming life is, how much of a struggle relationships are, how awful it is even to exist in a place of sickness and selfishness. And when we stop living in denial, it is then that we need to stop worrying—not because the world gives us less to worry about (we’re seeing reasons to worry more clearly now, remember?). No, we stop worrying because we are calling out to Jesus, and we know that He’s going to take care of us.

Which brings us back to the good side of this life. I love sports, the outdoors, friends, smart phones, and good stories. And food. I love food. Am I supposed to pretend that I don’t? Absolutely not! Instead, because I now know that every good gift is from above (acc. to James), I am supposed to enjoy them MORE. I am supposed to overflow with wonder at how good some things in this life are. And as I’m awed by the speeds, tastes, sights, sounds, displays of intellect, joys and satisfactions of life on earth, I should be grateful to the God who gave them to me. And at the same time, the wonders of His good gifts down here should remind me that the God who can make this world seem like a great place to live must have something tremendous in store for me above, where there is no sorrow or pain. And so I “set [my] sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven”—not just for myself, but for others, too. I set my sights on the wonders of heaven, even as I’m surrounded by the joys and pleasures God has given me down here, and urge myself not to be so stupid and selfish as to insist on enjoying life down here so much that I neglect to give my family and my friends and my neighbors the opportunity to know the joys I’m looking forward to with Jesus in heaven. I enjoy life down here more fully, but I crave it less. I’m looking forward to something better—way better, and I want others to get something better, too.

Question: How do you keep your mind on heaven when life down here feels like hell? Even harder, how do you set your gaze toward heaven when life down here feels like heaven already?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: