About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Survivor

Ezekiel 7-9; Psalm 105:1-15; Proverbs 26:28

Survivor’s always been an exciting and entertaining reality show. But really, the contestants are pretty well protected. You know? Sure, they face some challenges from one another and from the hard work it takes to stay somewhat comfortable in the wilderness. But they know their time on the “island” or wherever is limited, and they’ll be back home in their comfy (if not cushy) homes soon enough.

What if they took the show to a whole new level? What if it was a matter of life and death—a real survivor show? What would be the most dangerous possible location?

How about this? “Survivor: The Wrath of God”

Who would survive?

Now the glory of the God of Israel went up from above the cherubim, where it had been, and moved to the threshold of the temple. Then the LORD called to the man clothed in linen who had the writing kit at his side and said to him, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."

As I listened, he said to the others, "Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children, but do not touch anyone who has the mark. Begin at my sanctuary." So they began with the elders who were in front of the temple. – Ezekiel 9:3-6

In some situations, those who want to honor God are powerless to act. Powerless to persuade others to obey the King. Powerless to do anything more than maintain their own righteous lifestyles and mourn the sin they see around them.

In Survivor: The Wrath of God, believe it or not, that ability and willingness to mourn over sin counts for something. Those who refuse to fall into sinful patterns, those who turn away from sinning even if it means missing out on time with friends or family members, those who mourn for the friends and family members (and the rest of the community) that they see dishonoring the Lord Jesus Christ will survive. Everyone else will die.

Father, keep my heart soft. Help me to love You enough to listen and obey. Help me to love others enough to weep when I see them disobeying You, knowing that they are preparing to get themselves killed. And may I be able to endure the tension until Jesus Christ comes again.


No comments: