About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, September 28, 2009

That Men May See What Kings Will Not

Isaiah 43:14-45:10; Psalm 68:1-18; Proverbs 24:1-2

 

In yet another instance where God used a pagan king to accomplish his will, Isaiah looks forward to the day when God will move a king called Cyrus to the throne to set up His temple. But we might not want to assume that Cyrus knew God simply because he decided to build God’s temple:

 

This is what the LORD says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of

to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut: I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD,  the God of Israel, who summons you by name. For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.   I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other. – Isaiah 45:1-6

 

God knew, well before Cyrus was ever born, that His people would be in captivity and would need a King who set them free to return to the promised land. He knew before Cyrus had uttered a sound that Cyrus would not have a heart for God. And yet he still exalted this pagan boy to be a pagan king for the glory and honor of God’s own name.

 

Why? “So that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other.”

 

Father, please help me to remember that you are in control, and you call me to trust in You no matter what else people may say

 

No comments: