About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Proportionally Speaking.

Deut. 16-17; Psalm 72; Proverbs 12:8-9

 

We tend to spend proportionally to our income (though many spend beyond their income – still proportionally, though). If I earn very little, I spend very little. If I earn quite a bit, I spend much more freely to buy all the luxuries my heart desires. Right? I mean, sure we set a bit of money aside for the future, but if we’re being honest, we use most of the money we earn to increase our pleasures: more and better food, bigger and better houses, faster and better cars, trendier and better computers, costlier and better clothes… and of course, an iPhone.

 

But if we spend only on ourselves, we are only telling everyone how much we think we matter. God tells us that we, with our spending, should express how faithful He has been to us:

 

No man should appear before the LORD empty-handed: Each of you must bring a gift in proportion to the way the LORD your God has blessed you. – Deut. 16:16b-17

 

A gift in proportion to the way the LORD your God has blessed you. Are we justified in bringing so little (or even nothing) to the LORD? Has He really done so little for us?

 

Father, help my giving to reflect Your giving. Help me to trust You to keep providing for me so that I can unclasp my hands from around the things You’ve already given me and send those funds out to sustain Your kingdom work in my church and around the world. And help my attitude to proclaim Your generosity. Help me to give saying, “Of course I can give. My God is constantly giving to me.” May people come to know Your generosity through mine.

 

No comments: