About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Monday, April 21, 2008

John 15:5-8

5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing. 6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. 8 "By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.

 

As Christ continues to talk to His disciples, He begins to tell them how necessary it is that they hold on to their relationship with Him. He is the vine; they are the branches.

 

Logically, in this kind of a relationship, a branch is incapable of producing anything worthwhile without its vine. So the disciples’ relationship with Jesus is necessary for them to have any hope of living worthwhile lives. Without Him they can do nothing.

 

What if they neglect their relationship? Just like a branch that has no relationship with its vine, they are thrown aside and wither. Eventually such disciples are treated like trash – gathered up and burned in fire. It sounds harsh. I suppose it is. But it makes sense. What else can you do with lifeless branches? What else can God do with lifeless people?

 

Jesus encourages His disciples again to cling to their relationship with Him. Why? Because this brings glory to the Father. How? If the disciples cling to the relationship, holding on to Jesus’ words and living by them, then when they ask for what they want, Jesus will give it to them. And when Jesus gives them what they want and ask for within this solid relationship, it will glorify the Father because Jesus’ gifts will produce much fruit through their lives and prove that they are really Jesus’ disciples.

 

So the disciples need Jesus if they want to bear fruit. They need Jesus if they want to show that they are Jesus’ disciples; there is no following a dead Jesus. Ultimately, the disciples need Jesus if they want to glorify God. And they maintain their relationship in two basic ways: 1. continuing to listen to Jesus’ words and 2. responding to His words by prayer and dependence. This is the relationship that Jesus promises will produce His fruit in the disciples lives and glorify His Father.

 

Father, remind me always to maintain my relationship with Jesus. May I sense with my whole being how much I need Jesus’ words. When I read them or hear them, may I really hear them and respond with prayer, crying out for Jesus to give me the blessings He talks about, to protect me from the dangers He describes, to teach me right choices and righteous living, to guide me in introducing Him to others. As I maintain my relationship with Jesus, be glorified by producing Your fruit in and through me.

 

No comments: