About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

John 15:13-17

13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. 14 "You are My friends, if you do what I command you. 15 "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give to you. 17 "This I command you, that you love one another.

 

Jesus’ command that His disciples love one another is a command that shows His love for them. The greatest demonstration of love is when one person lays down His life for his friends. Although Jesus does not say, “This is what I am doing,” this is a part of what He is saying. Jesus is about to lay down His life for His friends.

 

It is significant that Jesus calls the disciples His friends. Part of the friendship is conditional; the disciples show that they are Jesus’ friends by doing what He commands. Friends don’t oppose friends; they walk forward together. So the disciples are Jesus’ friends if they obey His commands. But this is still a genuine friendship. It is not just servanthood or slavery. Why not? Because Jesus has taught His disciples everything the Father has said. He is not only giving out commands; Jesus has shared His plans with His disciples. Instead of having a relationship with Jesus based purely on obedience, the disciples have a relationship based on open communication. Part of the relationship involves obedience. But nothing has been hidden. Everything is on the table. The disciples are full participants in the friendship.

 

But Jesus is still the leader in the relationship. He chose the disciples; they did not choose Him. He chose them to bear fruit that goes on, to receive from the Father whatever they ask for in Jesus’ name (in line with His promises and will, revealed to them within their relationship with Jesus). What Jesus wants is for His disciples to love one another. This is to be their obedience, a fruit of their relationship, the answer to their prayers.

 

The world has seen enough sinful relationships. Some relationships are too selfish and domineering, with one person oppressing another. Other relationships are too broad and open, with people not speaking to each other honestly about the need for righteousness and pointing out sinfulness. But relationships of love are friendships. They are open with respect to communication. They are unselfish. They are in line with what Christ calls good and oppose what Christ opposes.

 

Father, help me to live such a perfect love. Dependent on you. In line with Christ’s words. Recognizing what Christ has done for me.

 

No comments: