About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

John 13:33-36

"Little children, I am with you a little while longer. You shall seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, I now say to you also, `Where I am going, you cannot come.'" A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another."By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered, "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you shall follow later." (NASB)

 

Notes:

  1. This continues Jesus’ statement on His own glory that the Father is giving to Him.
    1. This is part of Jesus’ teaching that Judas was absent for.
  2. This continues to be about the crucifixion.
  3. Jesus says again that it is coming soon. “Little children, I am with you a little while longer.”
  4. Jesus says the disciples will not experience it with Him. “You shall seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, I now say to you also, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.”
    1. Note: the Jews had wondered whether Jesus intended to kill Himself (John 8:21-22). It is now clear that He intended to give Himself over to death. And we will soon find that the Jews have a part in that death.
  5. Jesus institutes “a new command” to love one another as He has loved them. In the context of predicting His crucifixion, this is pretty significant love.
  6. In response to Peter’s question about where Jesus is going, Jesus simply says again that Peter cannot go with Him – but then adds that Peter will follow later.

 

Jesus’ mission is a solo mission. No one else can accomplish it. No one else needs to go through it with Him – and if anyone did, it wouldn’t help. Only Jesus’ death can reach the goal of saving sinners and reconciling them with God. This is part of Jesus’ glory. So even though Jesus’ disciples follow Him everywhere, they will not be able to follow Him on this mission.

 

But Jesus wants His disciples to do something. He commands them to love each other as He has loved them. This is supposed to mark Jesus’ disciples. It is supposed to be their distinctive. The disciples do not yet understand, but they will soon realize that Jesus wanted them to love each other to the point of death – because that’s what Jesus is about to do for them.

 

And then Jesus predicts that Peter will one day follow Him “where He is going.” Peter will one day die, as Jesus is about to do. This statement follows Jesus’ command that the disciples love each other as He has loved them. Jesus’ death is the only death that saves. But to bring Jesus’ death to others, Jesus’ disciples will suffer and even die. This passage only points to Peter’s death, but we can tell from the rest of the New Testament that the principle applies to many. It certainly applied to Paul (Romans 8:17-18; 2 Cor. 1:3-7; Eph. 3:13; Philip. 1:29; 3:10; Col. 1:24; etc.). And Peter describes it Himself: “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed” (1 Peter 4:12-13, NIV).

 

Father, thank You. Thank You first of all for sending Jesus to die for me and for many others. Without His death, none of us could have any hope at all. Thank You secondly for giving us the command to love – and forgive me for failing to live it out fully. Sometimes I’m not even willing to give up my pen, let alone my life! My love for people is so small… too small. Please continue Your work in me. Move my heart to care more for other people, especially other Christians, than for myself. Incline my heart to be willing to suffer anything, like Jesus did, for Your glory and the redemption of sinners.

 

No comments: