About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

John 13:21-30

Notes:

  1. Jesus was troubled in spirit (after having said, “He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me.”)
  2. Jesus predicted that one of His disciples would betray Him.
  3. The disciples were puzzled and asked which of them it would be.
  4. Jesus said that it was the one to whom He would give the morsel that He dipped.
  5. Jesus dipped a morsel and gave it to Judas Iscariot
  6. Satan entered into Judas
  7. Jesus told Judas, “What you are doing, do quickly.” And Judas left.
  8. The other disciples thought that Jesus might have been telling Judas to buy something or give something to the poor.

 

First, it is interesting to note that Jesus was troubled after saying, “He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me.” He predicted His betrayal at this point. Was He only troubled about His betrayal? Or was He also troubled for the one who would betray Him, not receiving Him and therefore not receiving the One who sent Him? We never see Jesus acting maliciously against Judas Iscariot. It is very likely that part of Jesus’ pain at this point was on Judas’ behalf. Jesus aches over sin and sinners.

 

Second, Jesus correctly predicted not only that a disciple would betray Him, but which one would do so. Jesus is God, and He was completely in control of His destiny – fully aware of what was happening in Judas’ heart. And Jesus gave Judas the bread, pointing him out. And Jesus told Judas to go ahead and do his evil deed quickly. Jesus is always in control.

 

Third, Satan entered into Judas. I’m not sure exactly what this means – whether Satan actually possessed Him or whether Judas was merely related to the accuser by his willingness to accuse Jesus, though I believe that there was definitely a strong tie between Satan and Judas at this point. This was not only Judas’ desire and opportunity; it was Satan’s desire and opportunity to bring Jesus harm. Judas went along with Satan’s desires. Opposition to Jesus is Satanic.

 

Fourth, the other disciples had no clue what was happening. They may have understood that Jesus was pointing out Judas as His betrayer, but they certainly didn’t understand that the betrayal was to happen that night. They didn’t know that Jesus was sending Judas out to betray Him. They didn’t really understand that Jesus was in control of His own destiny, and that His intention was to press toward the cross right then. Faithful disciples do not always understand what Jesus is doing.

 

Father, first of all, hallowed by thy name, thy kingdom come, and thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. May Your purposes – the purposes of Jesus Christ – be done. Thank You for Jesus Christ, who fulfilled Your will on purpose. Help me to always seek Your will, too – to purposely aim to advance Your kingdom. And may I do so within the limitations and freedoms of Your revealed will. I submit to You; You are my God.

 

Also, Father, forgive us our debts. Forgive me for my blindness to Your will and purposes. Just like the disciples, I often do not grasp what You are saying, how You are directing. I do not recognize Your hand at work sometimes, and I need to open my eyes. I need to pay attention. Thank You for Your forgiveness, for Your willingness to work with me in spite of my lack of understanding and my blindness.

 

Lastly, Father, lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one! Father, may I hold to the truth, and may it protect me from Satan’s lies. May I not listen to him. May I not support him, opposing You. May I not fulfill his purposes, but Yours.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.