About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

John 8:31-36

Briefly, I hope. Jesus is speaking to the Jews who believe in Him. An interesting conversation ensues.

 

Jesus: If you hold to my teaching, you are my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

 

They: We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves. How can you say we'll be set free?

 

Jesus (the main points):

  1. You are slaves... to sin.
  2. As slaves, you have no permanent place in the household.
  3. The Son has a permanent place in the household.
  4. If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

 

All of us are slaves to sin. That means that none of us has a permanent place in the household. But there is someone who has a permanent place in the household: the Son, Jesus Himself. Slaves are truly free from sin when they have been set free by the Son, rather than by another slave.

 

The Son has come. The Son is offering freedom to those of us in slavery to sin. We need to hold to His teaching, His truth. Let's find freedom through the Son!

 

No comments: