About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

John 8:12-20

If we remember that scholars believe John 7:53-8:11 to have been a later addition to the text, then what we read here comes directly after the Pharisees' division (Nicodemus asking them to hear Jesus out).

 

Jesus' next claim was that He was the light of the world and that those who followed Him would have the light of life. I don't know whether the Pharisees had decided to take Nicodemus' advice and hear Jesus out or what, but they at least respond to this claim. They tell Jesus that His testimony isn't valid because He is speaking about Himself.

 

Jesus responds that, even if He were the only one speaking on His own behalf, His testimony would be perfectly valid. Why? Well, compared to the Pharisees, Jesus certainly knows more about Himself than they do. He knows where He came from and where He is going, so He is the only human qualified to testify about those things. He points out that the Pharisees certainly aren't valid witnesses about Him.

 

Jesus says that the Pharisees are judging according to the flesh – according to what they experience and feel. They are limited to what they can see, hear, and feel, and they are also limited by what they want to see. Jesus contrasts this with Himself – not only is He not judging according to the flesh, but He is not judging! But Jesus is quick to note that, if He were judging, He would be right because He agrees with the Father who sent Him.

 

Jesus says, therefore, that there are two witnesses on His side – Himself and His Father who sent Him. And this should be enough, according to the Law of Moses.

 

Of course, the Pharisees wanted to verify this second witness. "Where is your father?" they asked Jesus.

 

And Jesus responded that they did not know the Father. His evidence for this is that they do not know Jesus Himself.

 

I've wondered about this evidence sometimes. But as a general rule, it makes sense. Think about it. The Jews living in Jerusalem did not get to know each other merely as individuals. Their families had lived there for generations. Children who were friends had fathers who were friends and grandfathers who were friends.

 

It is similar today. I was just at a wedding in Montana, where I have never been. Yet while I was there, an elderly couple approached and asked me whether I was "Bob's son." They knew my dad. And they recognized him in my appearance. We were friends. We "knew" each other, even though we did not know each other.

 

Jesus claimed to be the Son of God. His Father had sent Him. And yet the Pharisees did not recognize Jesus. Why not? Jesus says that it is because they did not know His Father. When people know your father, they know you.

 

Those who do not believe Jesus do not know God! That's all there is to it. People should be able to see the family resemblance.

 

Father, may I demonstrate my love for You by my love for Jesus! May I listen to Your words! May I obey them! May I talk about You as I ought to, telling people the truth about my wonderful God! Help me to introduce people to You. If they don't know You, may they come to know You through me, and then through Jesus. May the family resemblance draw them.

 

No comments: