About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Inner Motivations & Outward Actions

The Pharisees are often depicted as men who did good things outwardly, but whose inward thoughts were terrible. God condemns such a life, because He knows the heart. But what about when people today have good thoughts inwardly, but never express them in actual words of prayer or in actual service to others? What if I desire for my neighbor to know Jesus, but I count those desires as my prayers and never pray for him with my wife and children? What if the desires of my heart never result in my inviting his family over for supper? What if I only desire his salvation, but never develop a relationship with him that allows me to tell him about Jesus and the good news?

 

I think that this is the state of much of American Christianity today, including my own. We have good thoughts and motivations, and we tell ourselves, “It’s the thought that counts. God sees our hearts.” But we usually do not talk the way we want to. We certainly do not act the way we want to. And nothing gets done for the kingdom of God. This is the kind of faith James speaks about: “What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?” (James 2:14-16, NIV). James’ conclusion is sobering: “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead” (James 2:17, NIV).

 

Which is why I am writing this now. I believe these things to be true, according to God’s Word. And we Christians all need reminded that faith and life go hand in hand. I am one person, Matt Harner. It does not make sense for me to be one way on the inside and another way on the outside. Inside and outside should both display the one life I am living. All of us need to live this way. We need to believe the gospel enough that we live it. “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins” (James 4:17). This is true in the way we pray, the way we lead our families, the way we work, the way we talk, everything! So if I want my neighbor to be saved, I need to pray for him. And I need to pray for him with my family. And I need to invite him over. And I need to speak the gospel to him. All of these things work together. None of them is enough by itself.

 

May we as Christians live one life in Christ Jesus, a life in which our faith and works are one!

 

No comments: