About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Thinking too hard

Does anyone else ever find that too much time spent thinking can be depressing? I find that recently I have spent too much time thinking in a way that winds up negative.

For instance, when I'm thinking about my relationship with God, I keep thinking about how to "perfect" my prayers. I put a great deal of pressure on myself to grow. And yet Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." My prayer life will probably never be perfect, though I will grow. But the point is to come to Him - the point is not to approach Jesus in a certain way, other than by faith that He provides everything, yes, EVERYTHING, I need.

When I'm thinking about parenting, I get down on myself because I could be so much better a father. And I sit there and beat myself up for my failures, trying to discipline myself mentally to be a better dad.

The irony with both of these is that I get all stressed out about thinking about how to improve when I could be actually praying or playing with and parenting Emma. In these cases, as in most of life, doing what you have learned is good is the best policy. I create so much more struggle for myself thinking about how to pray and parent better. But when I get on my knees and just pray, or when I get down on the floor and just play with Emma, much of the stress disappears AND I improve in the areas I'm concerned about.

If you know me, of course, you know I'm not against thinking. Still, "be doers of the word, and not hearers only..."

No comments: