About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Willing Spirit, Weak Body

ALL – Psalm 52:1-9
ALL – Proverbs 11:1-3
OT – Numbers 11:24-13:33
NT – Mark 14:22-52

Good intentions fall short. As much as I would like to do a full day’s work, two hours of devotions, one hour of fitness training, four hours of family time, three hours of reading and an hour of cleaning the house into every day, I just can’t. I run out of energy. Out of time. I just run out.

Peter had made a promise to Jesus. He would never deny Him, even if it meant death (Mark 14:31). Wonderful intentions.

But then Jesus took Simon Peter and two other disciples with Him for a time of prayer. And how did that go?

“Simon!” he said. “Asleep? Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour? Watch with me and pray lest the Tempter overpower you. For though the spirit is willing enough, the body is weak.” – Mark 14:37-38, The Living Bible

Who else hears in these words a hint of a warning about what it is that will lead Peter to deny Jesus in just a few hours? Jesus knows our hearts. But Jesus also knows our limits. He knows just how weak we are. And unfortunately, we’re very, very weak. That’s why we need Jesus to sustain us, to make us righteous, to give us strength.

Are you depending on Jesus today?

To review the Bible reading plan options, please visit
http://tinyurl.com/yj2o7jz.



No comments: