About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spirit-Guided Commitments

1 Chronicles 11:1-12:18; Psalm 9:1-12; Proverbs 19:1-3

 

When you’re on the run, you have to be careful. Any “friend” might turn out to be an enemy. Any “supporter” might turn out to be a traitor.

 

When David’s men came to him, he was wary: If you have come to me in peace, to help me, I am ready to have you unite with me. But if you have come to betray me to my enemies when my hands are free from violence, may the God of our fathers see it and judge you. – 1 Chron. 12:17

 

But it was God’s Spirit driving these men to support David:

 

Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: "We are yours, O David! We are with you, O son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you." So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands. – 1 Chron. 12:18

 

The Spirit of God led these men to understand that God was with David and would help him. It was no longer a matter of men’s strength and wisdom. It no longer made a difference whether these men supported or opposed David. God would bring David success. So these men joined David, because they wanted to join God.

 

Father, help us to be first and most concerned with joining You. Once we are following You wholeheartedly, lead us together as leaders and followers of men, united in following You. May all of us encourage each other in knowing You.

 

No comments: