About Me

My photo
Born: Toccoa, GA. Raised: Internationally. Married to the best woman ever, Amanda! 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys). My parents are missionaries, and I was raised mostly in Guinea and Ivory Coast, West Africa. I personally came to know Jesus Christ at a very young age, when He saved me from my sins by His own death on the cross. He has been teaching me to love God and others since then.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Actions Impact Others

1 Chronicles 4:5-5:17; Psalm 5; Proverbs 18:19

 

“It’ll only affect me.”

 

We may think that our actions affect no one else. We may think they’re “personal.” When friends try to encourage us to think and act in what they call “better” ways, we may be offended. What business is it of theirs what choices I make for my own lifestyle? “Who’s it gonna hurt?”

 

But Reuben’s genealogical records show that our personal – extremely personal – decisions can have long-lasting effects. Well into the genealogical records, after reading about Judah’s and Simeon’s descendants, we come to Reuben:

 

The sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel (he was the firstborn, but when he defiled his father's marriage bed, his rights as firstborn were given to the sons of Joseph son of Israel; so he could not be listed in the genealogical record in accordance with his birthright, and though Judah was the strongest of his brothers and a ruler came from him, the rights of the firstborn belonged to Joseph)—the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel: Hanoch, Pallu, Hezron and Carmi. – 1 Chron. 5:1-3

 

You remember? All the way back in Genesis, when Reuben slept with one of his father’s concubines (Gen. 35:22)? It seemed to be almost nothing. Just a mention. While Israel was living in that region, Reuben went in and slept with his father’s concubine Bilhah, and Israel heard of it. And then the text goes on. A personal choice. No big deal, right?

 

Wrong.

 

Hundred of years later – when the Israelites have passed through hundreds of years of slavery and hundreds of years in their land, and even time in exile – when Reuben’s descendants are listed, the first thing everyone hears about Reuben is that he slept with his father’s concubine. It forever impacted the way the Israelites saw history. His rights as firstborn were given away. The nation looked to Judah as the “strongest” of the brothers, and they looked to Joseph as the one allotted the birthright of a double portion in the land. Reuben’s descendants? They just heard over and over again how their forefather messed both of these things up for them by sleeping with Israel’s concubine. They weren’t the rulers. They weren’t blessed with more land than others. They got nothing but the shameful reminder that they were the descendants of that one, that Reuben, who had slept with his father’s concubine.

 

Our choices impact tons of other people. Sometimes the impact is known, sometimes not. But behaviors have consequences. We’ve all experienced it. Adam, for instance, led all of us into sin by his sin. Fortunately, we’ve been given a way out of this. Jesus died and rose so that we could experience the consequences of His righteous life rather than the consequences of Adam’s sinful life.

 

I bet Reuben’s descendants wished there was a way someone could change what was recorded in their genealogical history like Jesus does for us all. Do we want to keep being known by Adam’s name? Or by Jesus’ name?

 

Father, help me first to remember that my behaviors have consequences and to carefully live in such a way that I don’t harm tens, hundreds, or even thousands of people by my actions. Even as I try to live righteously, may I remember that I can’t be righteous without You, without Jesus Your Son and without Your Holy Spirit. I need You. Thank You that I can be known by Your name. May my descendants be known by Your name, too. Your lineage is the only completely glorious one to have.

 

No comments: